No power by LaurenDee
Started on: 04-27-2015 08:11 PM
Replies: 5 (154 views)
Last post by: LaurenDee on 05-02-2015 10:12 PM
LaurenDee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my first post. So I just recently shipped my fiero back to the east coast from Southern California, where it sat for 3 years. I was so excited to get it back home knowing my 86 has never given me troubles. Sure enough. After sitting for so long I plugged the battery back up and it started right up. I put a new air filter in it because it was rotted to hell and I drove it for about two days. And from previously owning a fiero I know what comes with em. So it was more like a waiting game to see what broke next. So I'm sitting at a stop light and have the heat running and all of a sudden it starts idling all weird dancin around and such so I turn the heat off immediately and the engine started running like it was a golf cart. Sounded like a little putter. Try to take off from the light and it just doesn't wanna go. I have to rev it super high and ride the clutch and somehow i got it back home. I then took a look at some forums and got an idea of what might be wrong. I disconnected the cat which was the original one cause it was still welded on. And felt like a pinyata full of candy but I already knew it was on its way out. So I ran it straight piped and it still ran exactly how it did. Barely. Then I thought it might be a fuel pressure problem or a fuel pump. Bought a fuel filter for it and tested the pressure. Gas shot right up onto the deck lid so I know that's not the issue. Then I checked the plugs and they looked fine. Opened up the distributer cap and saw that the coil was gunked and so rusty. So I took a wire brush to it and put everything back on. Now the car won't start. It cranks. Just no start. So I talked to my dad on the phone who worked on these cars for 15+ years when they came out and he's trying to walk me through everything that I need to check and he said that because I frayed the pickup coil. I need to order a new pickup and module and he would walk me through rebuilding it. I was gonna do that but I found a new distributer that included a cap so I just did that. So now I'm just waiting on that to come in the mail. I'm hoping that my initial issue is the only issue I had in the first place. If the distributer isn't the fix of all this does anyone else know what couldn't be my actual issue? With bogging and no power. Like I said I did no cat, checked fuel pressure, did a fuel filter, disconnected the o2. It's a 86 gt 4 speed v6. It has just barely 96,000 miles on it and bought it with 84.

[This message has been edited by LaurenDee (edited 04-27-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

LaurenDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply! Didn't think anyone would answer haha. And no I didn't do a check on it I just ordered a whole new distributer for it. unfortunately I AAA'd up to mass to my friends shop since I don't really know how to work on my car. It should be here in the next day or two and I hope that resolves everything. If it's not then I don't know what else it could be.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Let us know if the distributor fixes the problem......we could probably come up with something else to look at if it does not.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

There is a good chance that changing the whole distributor will solve your problem (assuming it comes complete), but definitely post your results and let people here talk you through any further diagnosis. Hopefully collectively we can point you in the right direction and save you from throwing money at it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, definitely take some time to change your fluids and check your seals. Sounds like you have sufficient fuel pressure to start and run the engine, but you may still want to use a fuel pressure gauge to confirm that you are getting the correct fuel pressure. I don't remember the exact spec for the V6 but it's quite high compared to the 4 cyl, and even a relatively low pressure can spray fuel up to the lid. If you have old gas in the tank you should pump it out and replace with fresh fuel. Use a bottle of fuel injector cleaner as well. That will help ensure that all injectors have a nice spray (of course never a guarantee...)

Good luck with it!
LaurenDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! Got the distributer in. Turns out it is a bad ignition coil. Getting it on tomorrow and I think that will be a solid fix ! (: if not, I'll be back here desperate for help haha

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock