headlamp motors by cjewell201
Started on: 04-27-2015 05:15 PM
Replies: 20 (365 views)
Last post by: carguy8t8 on 05-07-2015 04:12 AM
cjewell201

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does anyone know know the wiring for the 97 fiero headlamp motors because the book only shows how to hook it up if the connectors are together and the person that owned the car be for be cut them all off im left with a bunch of hanging wires i have 3 red a black and a blue then a green and a gray coming off the actual motor
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC in 97' the Fiero didn't have pop up head lamps. You must have an 80's fiero...
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the correction I don't know why I put 97 yes 87
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car WAS ahead of it's time.....
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though this info would be useful to someone it not me my mistake the fiero is an 86 I always forget because I was told 87 when I bought it if you can still help that would be awesome
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would guess you're looking at cut wires a few inches from the motors themselves. The 86 system uses 3 relays, 2 of which are connected right next to the motors. It's sad to say many misinformed fiero owners cut wires for headlight motors to remove essential parts in effort to re-wire them with "custom toggle switches". The end result is rare relays get lost, and the specific 2-piece connectors that the early system used to connect the relays are discarded with them, all while never fixing the system. I suggest finding a parts/donor car and swapping in a complete uncut headlight harness (look for any '84 to '86 fiero as a donor). And expect to still need troubleshooting. I did this for both of my systems and still had an underlying issue. But a perfect wiring harness was still great peace of mind. Also, the blue wire from the motors have their own single-wire connector, (this wire controls the headlights closing when turned off). This is my recommendation, though you can attempt to splice in correct parts if you have the nerve to wreck a different car's wiring. Once the wiring is fixed, the troubleshooting page posted earlier is a godsend. Good luck!
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[url=https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/905982_943207795699738_6465452890441772455_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9][/url]
so this is what I got the green and gray come off both motors. I don't know what any of the other wires are for. other then that the blue hook to the motor some where some how
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pigtail in the pic, plugs into one half of the motor actuator relay. The motor itself has a nearly identical connector at the end of the green and gray wires that fits into the other half of the same relay. (The two connectors look like one whole connector when both are plugged in). The blue wire will have it's own connector and will plug into the harness' blue plug right there in the picture. The relay gets mounted to the headlight assembly via two 7mm screws, you'll likely see two white-ish nylon inserts where these screws go into. It sounds like you're missing the relays and the motor's side pigtail connector. More pics of the motors should verify.
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cjewell201

55 posts
Member since Apr 2015
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cjewell201

55 posts
Member since Apr 2015
These are both motors. Their isn't a blue wire coming off either motor. Nor is their a relay near them. Only one mounted on the side wall on drivers side
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a bit of a problem. You have an '84 to '86 car and headlight harness. But you have '87 to '88 headlight motors. And probably the whole headlight buckets from 87 to 88. Where you go from here is up to you. 84 to 86 is generation 1. 87 to 88 is generation 2. Most people will recommend that you locate the wiring harness and control module for generation 2 and swap it into your car. They claim gen 2 is better (faster motors, quieter, and supposedly more reliable against failure). But good luck locating a parts car. You can still revert back to gen 1 motors and repair your wiring, and locate some relays. But again, hard to find parts, especially the relays. As far as I know, you can not make your current components work as they sit.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gen2 headlamp motor wiring diagram.

Headlight wiring:

Gen 1 headlamp motor wiring diagram:

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-05-2015).]

cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I guess I'm on the hunt for parts. I'll go which ever direction I find first thanks for the help. And at least I have found what I have to do to fix them finally
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to go over this setup with a fine-tooth comb. If you have a way to talk to previous owners, it might help. I have personally had this kind of problem with both my '85 trans am and my '86 fiero. I opted to buy complete generation 1 headlight harnesses in both instances, and deal with locating the relays as needed. I've been lucky and both cars have functional systems now. If you go this route, get the complete wiring harness from a donor car, it will have 3 relays. And grab both motors along with the 3 long mounting screws that each motor bolts on with (you will have 6 long bolts total). The swap of wiring is somewhat straightforward, but I wound up removing the hood to route it all. If you decide to keep your current gen 2 motors, you need the complete wiring harness that includes the headlight module that gets mounted inside of the driver side fender (big pain to reach).
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like no matter which way I go. Their is a lot of work to be done. But not sure I want to mess with the module. Forgot all about that for the gen 2 system probably Ganna go back to gen 1
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone stuck a gen 2 module in my fiero along with the harness, but not the motors. It was a cluster***. So I do have a spare module (and heavily cut up harness) if you would want to try. I would advise against the wiring part since I cut large amounts off lol. Your easiest route is to locate gen 1 motors/bolts, cut the relays and the wires with sufficient length at the right spots, and splice them into your existing wiring. Lazy way, it makes me cringe to think about, but it's your car and your call. I may have some donor wiring left to help get ya started. The blue wire connector is available from the fiero store, but I forget if it's the male or female half. Let me know if by a decide ya need help. If you do decide to cut, after finding a local donor car, just please take your time figuring out where to cut the wires. I know what it's like to get confused over working with missing parts.
cjewell201

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjewell201Send a Private Message to cjewell201Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm Ganna try to find a donor. With the entire gen 1 system in it. No splicing if not absolutely necessary
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want rebuilt Gen 1 motors I have them on eBay. I will take your Gen 2 motors in as cores and give another $25 discount for the module if it is good. I may also have some good used relays with wire pigtail if you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock