Tire life, in years by Jerry Tarnofsky
Started on: 04-27-2015 01:57 PM
Replies: 38 (758 views)
Last post by: Jerry Tarnofsky on 05-04-2015 02:19 PM
Jerry Tarnofsky

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '88 Fiero GT I just bought had been driven 2000 miles in the last 22 years.
The tires are Goodyear Eagle GT +4B. They look perfect. But, everything I read about tire age
say they should be replaced. The car was keep indoors.

I plan to take it on trips on the interstate. Should the tires be replaced?.

Jerry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.
The tire experts say that no matter how well kept a tire is, it gets unreliable after 10 years. High speed driving would be a concern.
You can decode the date on the tires using the DOT numbers...the tire rack website has a good instruction page.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I would replace them if they are truly that old. Just for safety reasons.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, and congrats on the Fiero. I saw your other post. I take it that 28.000 miles is actually 28,000 miles..? That was quite a "find".

I have read probably the same reports that you have, about the tires. So if it were me, I would replace the tires.

It's been a long time since I have had even a slow leak or a flat. I don't think that I have ever had a tire "blow" or suddenly go flat at freeway speeds. Not in as far back as my memory still works.
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, actually 28,245 original miles, and 100 of those were driving it home. And everything works.
Will get the tires as soon as the plates come in.
Jerry
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tires for the 88 GTs are getting scarce...confirm availability before you drive up to the shop.
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered a set of Firestone - Precision Sport from a local tire shop.
Jerry
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont believe in that myself. If I have tread and there are no bulges or cracks in the tread or sidewall, I use them. My GT40 I bought had 25 year old tires that had the BIG solid white letters. When I restored it, I kept them and drove on the freeways all the time. Run smooth and never vibrated. I didnt even bother carrying a spare. I even drove it a few laps on Mid Ohio road course once during a Concours DeElegance.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the Only problem I Ever had with Tires were firestones ! The Sidewalls and Letters CRACKED (Wide), not the tread (All 4 tires). Firestone would Not stand behind them. Good Luck.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I dont believe in that myself. If I have tread and there are no bulges or cracks in the tread or sidewall, I use them. My GT40 I bought had 25 year old tires that had the BIG solid white letters. When I restored it, I kept them and drove on the freeways all the time. Run smooth and never vibrated. I didnt even bother carrying a spare. I even drove it a few laps on Mid Ohio road course once during a Concours DeElegance.

That is dangerous and irresponsible. Tires don't only fail on the outside where you can see, they can fail on the inside where you can't, and when they go they can go catastrophically. Google "age related tread separation." Putting yourself at risk is one thing, but putting others at risk is reprehensible.

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 10yr old tires--probably 5-6 thousand on them--had the rear separate at 80mph on the highway---dry rot---get new tires---got 4 Falken tires (staggered for the GT) for 240.00 on e-bay!

------------------
Pat Jones

PFF
System Bot
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dot numbers
Pre 2000 Last three numbers. Example 129 12 month of 9th year. Very confusing. Could be 79 or 89 or 99 so it won't help on old tires.

After 2000 Last four numbers. Example 2205 22 week of 2005

HarryT
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the 90's I bought a 1975 Mercedes sedan, the tires looked very good. After driving it around town for a couple of weeks I started getting a vibration at about 50 mph. I took it to a tire shop and it turned out that the tire ply was starting to separate inside the tire.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jerry Tarnofsky:

Just ordered a set of Firestone - Precision Sport from a local tire shop.
Jerry

Smart choice. Why risk damage to you or the car, over the price of tires. Tires are not made to last forever.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

That is dangerous and irresponsible. Tires don't only fail on the outside where you can see, they can fail on the inside where you can't, and when they go they can go catastrophically. Google "age related tread separation." Putting yourself at risk is one thing, but putting others at risk is reprehensible.

Call me dangerous. Ive never had a tire blow without some kind of warning, usually shake or vibration. Ive had tires blow out (after vibrating) on the race track over 125 mph. Not a big deal to me. Worse I ever had was a front blowout on a 57 buick...the tire took out the headlite wiring and never moved out of my lane on the freeway. If you know how to drive, a blowout is just a delay getting where your going. I did use those tires on the GT40 because you couldnt buy that style tire anymore and liked them authentic.

my 25 year old Goodyears

Talk to the drivers who have bald tires, bumpers tied on with rope or duct tape, pickup beds falling off, and on the freeway with tires with 10 pnds of air in them...all about responsible.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-28-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And your 25 year old model............
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, tires can and often does "wear" inside while tires look ok on the outside.

Why?

Because their filled with "shop air" that contaminated with oil, dirt, air pollution and water.
The compressor at home or gas stations w/o repair shops compress local air w/ whatever pollution and water.
Brake rubber parts are not only thing that doesn't like Oil/Grease.
Pollution have Ozone that eats rubber. Ozone is why or big part of why your wipers, rubber bushings, etc, can get bad even w/o driving and park in a garage or car park.

I never find wipers that last more 6-12 months because area have many "Ozone Alerts" days per year plus UV. Even Premium wipers won't last long. Tires here show cracks 4-6 years, including most spares stored inside of car like Fiero. (Spare tires also rated 6-10 years lifetime.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Call me dangerous. Ive never had a tire blow without some kind of warning, usually shake or vibration. Ive had tires blow out (after vibrating) on the race track over 125 mph. Not a big deal to me. Worse I ever had was a front blowout on a 57 buick...the tire took out the headlite wiring and never moved out of my lane on the freeway. If you know how to drive, a blowout is just a delay getting where your going. I did use those tires on the GT40 because you couldnt buy that style tire anymore and liked them authentic.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen, and just because you've been able to maintain control in blowouts in the past doesn't mean you always will. The best racecar drivers in the world sometimes crash. You can't always maintain control, and street driving is VERY different from driving on the track. A friend of mine was nearly killed when someone who "knew what they were doing" drove an F250 with old tires, lost control, cruised across the center divide, and tagged my friend's car in the back. If things had happened just slightly differently it could have been head-on or a perfect side impact. The driver of the F250 died when it hit a tree. CHP found the tires to have been 15 years old, failed internally, tread separated. I mean, don't you read the news? How do you think Paul Walker died?

I am stunned that anyone could literally look at a car, look at the science, and then simply choose to not believe the danger presented by the facts. And over "I like the way they look?" You should be ashamed of yourself.

Talk to the drivers who have bald tires, bumpers tied on with rope or duct tape, pickup beds falling off, and on the freeway with tires with 10 pnds of air in them...all about responsible.

I don't see the problem. Maybe they like how flat tires and duct tape look. Amirite?

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 04-28-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been driving for 50 years, averaging over 50,000 a year. I can count all the flats/blowouts ive had on one hand. I could get hit by a semi tommorrow too.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wife of the man who nearly killed my friend was in her 60s, presumably also driving for nearly 50 years. She'd never seen anything like it either. Doesn't bring her husband back from the dead. It only takes one time, and unlike the semi's activity which you cannot control, you absolutely can control the age of your tires. How anyone who claims to be involved in motorsport can't take such a basic element of vehicle safety seriously is beyond me. Farm people from BFE I suppose have an excuse, but an individual who claims to like cars and understand how they operate and what they're capable of? Utterly insane.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would replace any tire 5 years after production (even if never used) regardless of how it looks.

Learn how to read the date codes on tires and check all four (and the full size spare, if it has one) when looking at a car to buy. Compact spares should be replaced too, though I've never had to deal with that since I always bring a full size.

It's not worth risking your life and the lives of others on the road to save a few hundred dollars.

Plus, tire technology improves every year so you'll be upgrading the performance of your vehicle.
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of those continually contentious issues people get upset over. Everyone knows tires are important. Personal experience doesn't necessarily correlate to statistical data though...

Some people brag about how little they pay for their tires. I wonder if the quality of the 'cheap' brands makes them riskier than the top brands. Asking tire companies how often you should buy new tires begs for a lot of good tires to be scrapped.

I've usually bought Michelin's top rated tires if I could get the size. I would hope they can be trusted longer than the 'cheap' brands. That said, I recently replaced a set of Michelins on a Saturn Ion due to cracking rather than tread wear. Not impressed.

It would be nice to see some empirical data on the rates of various types of failures by manufacturer and model of tire.
I'm sure there are many incidents of failure well before the '5 year' window of usability that is frequently mentioned.
I'm thinking lack of use and exposure to sunlight accelerate deterioration.

The Firestone - Ford feud wasn't about old tires if I recall correctly, but the failures were numerous and catastrophic.

I wonder what guys like Jay Leno and other owners of large collections do? Every 5 years would be a significant expenditure...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 04-28-2015).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I totally understand the point, but I doubt Jay Leno is worried about a hundred grand spent annually on tires. He spends more than putting weird motors in yet weirder cars.

Due to wild variations in tread design, intended use, actual use, and manufacturing variables I don't think you'd be able to gain any useful information about manufacturer vs. failure age. Most tires wear out before they fail, most people won't get six or eight years out of a set of tires. It's a relatively small group of people who will end up with tires failing from age, and when you wrap that up with specific tire variables you're probably not talking about enough tires to generate a good data set. If you do google age related tread separation you'll find a pair of NHTSA studies that discuss tire age vs. failure rate which covers a lot of bases and provides useful information. Based on things that I've been involved with, I don't think you'll actually find many tires suffering failures that aren't directly caused by age, lack of maintenance, or trauma. The NHTSA study also addresses that to a fair degree.

I'm not sure what you consider a "cheap" brand, but I think you'll find very little difference between all the major brands - whether it be Hankook, Cooper, or Michelin. Performance may vary significantly, but actual manufacturing is pretty good across the board. It's only once you get into the obviously crap tires - often but not always made in China - that you really need to pay attention. Bad QC, poor manufacturing, and inferior materials add up to a substandard tire. But if you're paying $25 per tire, you *really* should have some clue about what it is you're getting. Based on reports of failures from Brand of the Day tires, I'm actually kinda shocked the DOT hasn't blocked their import. I actually bought a set of "Fullrun" brand tires (no joke) to roll a car around the shop on, and one of them was so obviously out of round the car bounced when I moved it. You'd never get that even out of the most questionable rebranded tire that Les Schwab sells.

Edit: The Firestone issue may have been about the tires, but maybe not. Ford specified 26psi inflation pressures to reduce rollover incidents, but the low inflation pressure resulted in increase instances of tires overheating and treads separating. Ford pointed the finger at Firestone and said the tires should have been able to take it as non-Firestone tires did not have any problems with the inflation pressure. Firestone fired back at Ford and said that was never part of the deal. In the end, Ford "won" and blame was laid on the tires. Potentially they were made to a inferior standard as the particular run of affected tires were all made during a strike at Firestone. Nobody knows.

(But it's another example of how tread separation results in spectacular tire failures that are difficult to control. IIRC, it was Car & Driver that did a series of tests trying to reproduce the tread separation->rollover scenario that drivers were experiencing, but they couldn't. They used a device to drop all air pressure out of the tire, but that method simulates a blowout not tread separation. Blowouts typically leave the tire on the wheel, resulting in a more stable handling profile that a car whose tire has suffered tread separation. Those scenarios, which are covered in the NHTSA studies, are very different.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 04-28-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of Fuzion tires from China on my Fiero and they are so true that I didn't even have to put any balancing weights on them. No vibration up to 75 mph.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please don't get me wrong - my comment was not a slam on China-made anything. Everything is made to a spec, and Chinese manufacturing is very good at meeting spec. Mountains of good tires come out of China, Fuzion is just Bridgestone's entry level brand and happens to be made in China. Ain't nothing wrong with that - you still have Bridgestone doing the engineering and the QC. I was specifically addressing the group of tires that primarily comes out of China and is not a product of any major manufacturer. The tires are all similar and come under dozens of different brand names - but typically any given brand only exists for a short while, possibly to avoid liability concerns. Google Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company as an example of what I'm talking about.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how to drive. Ive had wheels come completely off and never even swerved. Im not worried about a flat tire or blowout. I dont use tires that are weather cracked, bald, any uneven tread wear, bulges or one that wont balance.

We used to put the tires on the racecar and move the tire around the rim to balance them so weights wouldnt be there to knock off in a race. We seldom ever needed any weights. Like I said the ones that worry me on the street are drivers with the tied on body parts, cars with tires that are almost flat (ive even seen some smoking), and pickups with beds, camper shells and stakesides bouncing up and down unattached.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Baffled as to why you don't understand that there is no difference between a visibly weathered tire and an invisibly weathered tire. The potential failure mode of both is exactly the same, the danger is equal. You might have well have just said "I won't drive a car with no oil, but I never check the oil." There is actual science behind this, demonstrated in lab tests and in accident reconstructions by IIHS, NHTSA, tire manufacturers, and vehicle manufacturers. Tires are not just a single piece of rubber filled up with air. Tires are comprised of multiple components all sandwiched together. Age-related damage can occur outside where you can see in, inside where you can't, or even between the component layers. Judging something as complex as a tire by what you can see with your eye insane. Thank God you're not a doctor or an engineer. "You're not bleeding, you must be perfectly healthy" or "It's really nice to look at, I'm sure it's safe" are not paths to long, healthy lives for anyone. Good luck with that.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bad tire on one vehicle, it was a bad belt that caused a budge in an otherwise fine tire... no weather checking, no other indications. Not a cheap tire either. I had a friend have a blowout on one car, tires were like new, a few years old, as car was stored a lot. Completely destroyed the tire, rest of them were fine but he couldn't buy a matching one and had to buy all new. Then, there was the RV owner who had a blowout, tires looked like new. Got to a truck tire center and they told him to replace them all as the other ones may or may not last the trip home. Visually, they looked like new. Of course, the RV owner had to park overnight at the shop, waiting for tires to come in the next day.

If they are old, replace, why would you want to worry about the tires every time you take it out, especially when all you have is a compact spare (which is also old) and limited availability of replacement tires (when on a trip).

Sure, you may get lucky, but you know the best chance for a tire problem is on a trip, at night, in the rain, on a busy highway....

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-29-2015).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Baffled as to why you don't understand that there is no difference between a visibly weathered tire and an invisibly weathered tire. The potential failure mode of both is exactly the same, the danger is equal.

Don't get worked up over it. He doesn't consider it the same level of risk that you do. So be it. He's an intelligent adult who can make his own choices and if he has a blowout he'll take the responsibility for whatever damage may occur.

He's already said he doesn't use tires that are worn thin, cracked, uneven wear or won't balance. Or to use your checking the oil example, he may never check the oil, but if the oil pressure drops or the valves start clicking, he's going to know it's low on oil. Someone who takes care of their car is more in tune to changes in how it runs. Subtle noises or vibration that weren't there yesterday are obvious to someone who truly knows their car. Not so much to the average oblivious driver, which most safety recommendations are geared towards.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-29-2015).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have 25+ year old Goodyear Gatorbacks on my 88 Mera. This set I bought new in the early nineties and stored in sealed tight plastic bags in a basement. This set I just put on maybe 3-4 years ago. They look like new. No cracks etc. Still soft and pliable. I have no worries driving them at any speed. It seems to depend on the tire. Some tires age fast (dry rot and crack etc) and some last a very long time. If they look good and feel good I would not worry about them. Look between the treads. If there are no cracks I would be OK with them.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, having 6 vehicles and a motorhome, Id not be spending $15,000 on tires every 5 years when they dont have 10,000 miles on them. No matter how much of a car person you are, thats not happening to anyone I ever heard of. Like said, Jay Leno might be buying 800 new tires every 5 years for his 200 cars. Unless your listed on Forbes, no one else is though. How about new brake pads every year whether you drive it or not. Makes as much sense. I know one car a friend owns the dealer recommends a brake system and cooling system flush and refill with new fluids at every 5000 mile oil change. They quoted him $1100 for his 'routine' oil change with those also done. He told them to change the oil and filter only. His car is 2 years old with 4,000 miles. It dont need brake and cooling service, also safety items. I guess hes taking his life in his own hands...lol. If anyone here buys new tires with low miles on them every 5 years, theyre a rarity. I know LOTS and LOTS of car people, and dont know of anyone that bought new tires for anything just because they were over 5 years old. Someone here is welcome to show reciepts for new tires every 5/6 years on any one of their cars because I dont believe it that anyone here has. All of them I see at car shows every weekend are either driving on the original tires the car came with, or the set they put on in its restoration. Only a fool throws away 10,000 mile tires with no visible flaws or running flaws JUST because their 5 years old. You could be extra safe and put on new tires every month, but then whos to say you wont have a blowout then from a defective one. Like I said, id take my chances since I can drive just fine on a blown tire long enough to get off the road. I suggest everyone stay at least 1/4 mile away from me at all times...Id LOVE that.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many years ago I was reading about someone on the salt flats trying for a new speed record saying that he wanted to accelerate slowly as to not put much wear on his old vintage high speed tires because you could not get them anymore.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK already. I started this thread because the '88 Fiero I bought had tires that were 22 years old, not 5 or 10, but 22 years.
So I'm getting a new set. Plan on driving it on the interstate at 65+ MPH and do not want myself or my wife to get hurt by saving $400.
Something else will fail someday, but we can coast to the side of the road and call for help. Rather be safe than sorry.

Jerry
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jerry Tarnofsky:

OK already. I started this thread because the '88 Fiero I bought had tires that were 22 years old, not 5 or 10, but 22 years.
So I'm getting a new set. Plan on driving it on the interstate at 65+ MPH and do not want myself or my wife to get hurt by saving $400.
Something else will fail someday, but we can coast to the side of the road and call for help. Rather be safe than sorry.

Jerry

Sorry, Jerry. After the question is answered, some of us like to pile on and go ballistic with stuff. It's the nature of internet forums I suppose.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are misinformed. The tires degrade as others have said and are unsafe. I just tossed a set of 6 year old tires with only 8,000 miles on them because they were becoming detectably harder and had less grip. They seem to do this much more quickly than was historically the case - this is possibly a result of going to new synthetic colouring agents instead of carbon black.

Jerry - didn't forget about you. Change those tires and treat yourself to something decent - you'll be glad you did.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im happy for all of you keeping the tire companies in business. I dont unless there is something wrong with it. Any of the few blowouts ive ever had gave me some sign beforehand. Either didnt look good or felt something in them driving. Never had one totally unexpectedly blow out. I have ran over stuff that caused a flat tire, but it was obvious for a while it was going flat before it did. Id be glad to take all the low mile tires you have with no cracking, bulging or uneven wear, regardless of age and Ill pay you the shipping. I could use a set of 225/70/15s (or close) right now for my van for winter spares since its on the originals from 2004 with 100K on them. The tread is about 1/2 down, but not to the wear bars.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carbon black is more for wear properties than for coloring. I work at BF Goodrich and we are moving to new compounds with silica and other oils. I don't know how that will affect the tires aging.

Not all the cheaper brands are Chinese, we make some "house brands" also.

About the DOT code, the first two characters are the factory the tire was made in.http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

[This message has been edited by Tuna Helper (edited 05-02-2015).]

Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

Well I just got the new tires. What a difference. They are Firestone Precision Touring.
First thing was the steering, with these tires it feels about 50% lighter at low speed.
Next is the vibration, not much improvement here, maybe 10% better.
But in how it handles at speed, about a 90% improvement. Before it was hard to keep a steady speed.
My wife said following her home the first night, the Fiero keep gaining the losing speed constantly.
Even with the cruse control on it drifted about 10 MPH. Now it is rock solid. Went home from the tire
shop at 55 MPH and it held steady.

The original tires, which were 22 years old looked OK, but there was definitely something not right.

Jerry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock