fiero back fires by AaronM
Started on: 04-25-2015 06:45 PM
Replies: 15 (319 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 04-26-2015 09:45 PM
AaronM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronMSend a Private Message to AaronMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so i had to replace my icm plugs wires and distributor cap and rotor and the coil so that my fiero would dtop shutting off. So i decide to take her out a couple nights ago with a buddy and i pushed her pretty well in the 90 mph range and she ran well and sounded great! Well the next morning i go to start it and it wont i have crank so i assume i have compression, i have fuel i can here it and checked it, but no spark, so i replace the icm again and well she starts but has a backfire to her please help i have no idea what it is and i hope its nothing to bad. When i rev it, it sounds as if its missing and then you here a backfire every so often.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spark plug wires are on in the incorrect order.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your distributor loose? I think you have lost timing.
AaronM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronMSend a Private Message to AaronMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok my cap has a little movement hardly anything and i mean like almost nothing and I'm most positive that my plugs are not in the wrong order because it ran fine before.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plug wire fell off
AaronM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronMSend a Private Message to AaronMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No all the plugs are still connected. How easy is it for the fiero to some magical way screw up it timing?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the engine cold put a mark on each of the exhaust ports of the header, near the cylinder heads with a wax candle. Start it and see which one(s) are slow to melt. That is the cylinder(s) that aren't firing. It doesn't sound like timing it sounds like you have one or more cylinders not getting spark correctly.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-25-2015).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice trick ! Never heard that one with the wax!

Maybe your car caught a virus from one of those ricers and its trying out "2-stepping"? (That's where they rev up several times quickly the the extra fuel explodes in their exhaust, sounding like a 21 gun salute, only with 22's!)
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a failing ICM can cause a backfire. Maybe your ignition system is eating ICMs.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of your plug wires is probably tacked itself to your exhaust. My guess.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think it's due to recent sunspot activity.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off go get your icm tested, and warranty the new one that went bad. If it still misses after that. Start swaping your old stuff on, one at a time untill you find it.
starnes691

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starnes691Send a Private Message to starnes691Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

First off go get your icm tested, and warranty the new one that went bad. If it still misses after that. Start swaping your old stuff on, one at a time untill you find it.

you ever dyno your fully built forged motor and turbo 3.4? what did it make?

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starnes691:

you ever dyno your fully built forged motor and turbo 3.4? what did it make?

A bit off topic, but no, I haven't had it on a dyno yet.
starnes691

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starnes691Send a Private Message to starnes691Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

A bit off topic, but no, I haven't had it on a dyno yet.

hasn't your turbo setup been installed and running for over 5 years now? is your excuse going to be no time? Has it made it to a qtr mile yet?

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starnes691:

hasn't your turbo setup been installed and running for over 5 years now? is your excuse going to be no time? Has it made it to a qtr mile yet?

38 posts and banned!?!?! Was this anyone we knew from a different name? Guess I missed the drama...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock