What is this leak? by B1G-AL
Started on: 04-21-2015 11:20 PM
Replies: 24 (448 views)
Last post by: B1G-AL on 04-27-2015 01:01 PM
B1G-AL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B1G-ALSend a Private Message to B1G-ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone...84 Duke 4 speed owner with a new mystery leak. This car was nearly completely restored about a decade ago and everything has about 9,000 miles including the new duke engine. That's why I was a bit surprised when I saw this puddle on my garage floor! Below are pictures of where the leak is coming from...can anyone identify the cause/remedy? Thanks!

Al

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by B1G-AL (edited 04-21-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like the air conditioning lines, but i have never seen them leak fluid like that.

Looking again it looks like maybe something above is leaking on to them. Maybe valve cover?

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 04-22-2015).]

B1G-AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B1G-ALSend a Private Message to B1G-ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

That looks like the air conditioning lines, but i have never seen them leak fluid like that.

Looking again it looks like maybe something above is leaking on to them. Maybe valve cover?

I agree that they look like air conditioning lines...I even followed them to the front of the car and they appeared to run up to the AC compressor but the fluid that is leaking is making be doubt the AC. Also previous owner told me AC disconnected so I've never used it. Doubting valve cover since engine only has 9k miles and location of leak...seems to be right above where I took the pictures not up near engine. This leak also just happened yesterday out of nowhere...drove the car, came home, parked in garage and noticed the large puddle later in the day. Garage floor has been dry otherwise so not a leak that has been happening over time.

[This message has been edited by B1G-AL (edited 04-22-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like coolant to me.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for coolant, just had the same leak with mine. Replaced all the hoses, no more leak.
B1G-AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B1G-ALSend a Private Message to B1G-ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Looks like coolant to me.

The car leaks coolant from the pipe that runs from the radiator to the engine and the puddle it leaves on the garage floor looks much different (green coolant). When I swipe this puddle with my finger it does not have the odor of coolant and the color is brown. Perhaps it is oil but I can't imagine why there would be a pipe running oil to the front of the vehicle.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B1G-AL:

The car leaks coolant from the pipe that runs from the radiator to the engine and the puddle it leaves on the garage floor looks much different (green coolant). When I swipe this puddle with my finger it does not have the odor of coolant and the color is brown. Perhaps it is oil but I can't imagine why there would be a pipe running oil to the front of the vehicle.

Old coolant can turn brown/oranginsh
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B1G-AL:
Perhaps it is oil but I can't imagine why there would be a pipe running oil to the front of the vehicle.

The air conditioner system contains oil, and runs to the front of the vehicle.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looked redish in the pics.
Bill Schulte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill SchulteSend a Private Message to Bill SchulteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the first pic it looks like brake fluid. I would check the clutch slave cylinder and the hose going to it. It may be dripping down on the AC hoses.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

It looked redish in the pics.

Looks green to me.

PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upper edges maybe, but down at the bottom it looks red on my computer. Since it's a stick that rules out tranny fluid. Red or green would be coolant, unless he's using rottela.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which fluid is low?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is exactly where my heater hose was leaking on my 84 4speed. There's also another elbow in the engine compartment that could be leaking. I just replaced all 9 hoses on mine, since it had been sitting in a warehouse for 10yrs.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Upper edges maybe, but down at the bottom it looks red on my computer.

Your computer is broken. Heh heh...

Difficult to conclusively tell from an image, but the way the fluid is sitting on the concrete, I'd say it's water based and not an oil. See if it burns (in a careful manner).

My guess is that coolant is leaking somewhere near the firewall in the lines that go to and from the heater core.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-22-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coolant should smell like coolant I would think.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Coolant should smell like coolant I would think.

And how would you describe that smell to someone unfamiliar with it?

How would you describe the smell (and/or taste) of a durian?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And how would you describe that smell to someone unfamiliar with it?

Well, sweet and maybe melony?
But he could smell it frmo the overflow reservoir and compare too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-23-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, sweet and maybe melony?

CLEARLY you've never been near one. Passing one that's cut open at an Asian sidewalk market will make you GAG (maybe more) !!! REALLY!!!

Back on topic...

Looks like coolant to me. At the rear, as mentioned, it may be the heater lines on the firewall.
The hoses are crimped onto the metal lines and the likely place they are leaking.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

CLEARLY you've never been near one. Passing one that's cut open at an Asian sidewalk market will make you GAG (maybe more) !!! REALLY!!!

Indeed I have not, I was referring to the smell of coolant

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Durian. The king of tropical fruits. I couldn't get past the ”smells like hell” to test the ”tastes like heaven”. It isn't allowed in many public places. If makes the Rafflesia smell good.

They make it into candied strips, but some people eat it fresh. Those spikes are no joke.

Coolant smells like glycerin. Well, AFB does. Dex-cool smells differently. Then there's universal, Evan's waterless, and several other types.
PFF
System Bot
B1G-AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B1G-ALSend a Private Message to B1G-ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I have been away but am now home with the car. I will take all of your suggestions into consideration and have a second look underneath tomorrow. I am a vehicle hoarder to say the least so it is hard for me to take the time to get these kinds of repairs taken care of!

I'll have a second look at the coolant reservoir now that it has been a week but it was not low when I took the pictures. I checked the brake fluid at the same time and that was full. Anyone know of a mechanic in the Mass North Shore area that is good with Fieros? Meaning they know how to properly lift the vehicle etc!

I just want to identify exactly what the problem is so I can decide if I have the time to repair it myself or drop it off at a shop.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes a leak takes more running to determine where it is.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes a leak takes more running to determine where it is.

Agreed. Some leaks can only be found when engine is hot and cooling system is pressurized.

B1G-AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B1G-ALSend a Private Message to B1G-ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. Some leaks can only be found when engine is hot and cooling system is pressurized.

I will give that a try as well then.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock