Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  easiest way to install a switch to disable the ignition as an anti theft

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
easiest way to install a switch to disable the ignition as an anti theft by Nextel dude
Started on: 04-21-2015 01:08 PM
Replies: 23 (421 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-27-2015 04:10 PM
Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking for an easy way to keep my car from starting so some lowlife doesn't get a free ride. Saw a thread about using the power mirror or a turn signal as a switch to allow the car to start but didn't quite understand.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheapest might be to just take the fuel pump fuse or coil wire with you when you leave it
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
forgot to mention it is a 1988 4cyl 5 spd notchback. As a daily driver just not practical to keep pulling a coil wire. Looking to put in a switch just no sure what wire to splice into or where.
johnguzman1212

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Click Here to Email johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heavy duty toggle on fuel pump fuse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some good info from past threads:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-117843.html

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089646.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2015).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Passing through the center console is the power feed to the injectors (1 wire 4cyl, 2 wires V6), fuel pump, and ignition on power to the ecm. Any of them would keep the car from starting, but allow it to crank.

The problem with this whole premise is that before they figure out that the car will not start, they have already broken into the car and busted up the steering column/ignition. When it fails to start, they might just torch the whole car out of frustration.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedClick Here to Email SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the clutch safety switch clip
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewClick Here to Email coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run a toggle from the fuel pump or battery or ecm ignition fuse location in the fuse box in the cabin. You'll need 14g wire, male and female fuse blade caps and a 10amp toggle for the fuel pump or ecm ignition, 20 amp for the battery. Its a 5 minute process.Put the toggle in a hidden location. Flip the toggle off when you park it. Flip it back on before starting the car.

Should cost about $20 for everything. $7 for the toggle, $10 for 25ft of wire (youll only need 1 foot if even) and $5 for the male and female 16/14g wire ends.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The problem with this whole premise is that before they figure out that the car will not start, they have already broken into the car and busted up the steering column/ignition. When it fails to start, they might just torch the whole car out of frustration.

A friend this this happen with his older GM vehicle (not a Fiero).

He had installed a starter disable, so of course they couldn't start and take the vehicle, but he had to contend with the damage of them getting in and he said the damage to the column appeared to be worse than what was need to get at the ignition. The would be thief probably smashed it up more after NOT being able to get it started.

He's looking for "Vehicle Equipped With Starter Disable" stickers to put in the corners of the windows - hoping that might deter thieves from even trying. (IF they can read).

I suggested a flashing LED anytime the car is parked.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2015).]

Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered blinking LED lights for both my vehicles off of Ebay today.

Check them out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321597420942

I am also going to install a toggle switch on the fuel pump line as back up.

Thanks to all who offered their advice.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguyClick Here to Email thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Pull the clutch safety switch clip

This would be my approach. Just put a toggle switch in between one of the wires on this switch and hide it somewhere. Super easy to do. Although cutting the fuel or ignition also works, I would be concerned about a would-be thief killing the battery with the starter. I think you'd be better off interrupting the starter. You could also intercept the starter wire off the ignition switch, but access to the clutch safety is much easier.
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Click Here to Email mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install a battery switch in the trunk

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

He had installed a starter disable, so of course they couldn't start and take the vehicle, but he had to contend with the damage of them getting in and he said the damage to the column appeared to be worse than what was need to get at the ignition. The would be thief probably smashed it up more after NOT being able to get it started.

I've solved that problem...I've removed the whole ignition system from the steering column. Done away with the key and putting in a RFID starter button system.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

I just ordered blinking LED lights for both my vehicles off of Ebay today.

Check them out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321597420942

Sorry, this is going to go a bit off topic here..... I checked out the above link, and noticed where the seller tells how to install it:

Simple two wire connection:
- Connect RED wire to fuse block that has 12 volts when vehicle is running or not (Hot at all times)
- Connect YELLOW wire to fuse block that has 12 volts only when vehicle is running (Hot when running only)

There has to be some sort of ground, right? So, I emailed and asked if the housing was the ground point, as he mentions in the ad that it can be installed in fiberglass.

The response confused me more than 2 wires that both get connected to +12

Dear johnwpbfl,
Hello,
Think about it, all wires are grounded some way, so on the second
circuit (yellow) when disconnected from power its STILL grounded
completing the LED circuit.
Hope this helps

Interesting to say the least Hahahah!

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I've solved that problem...I've removed the whole ignition system from the steering column. Done away with the key and putting in a RFID starter button system.

Link, please.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Link, please.

I have this system in my car: http://www.advancedkeys.com/
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagClick Here to Email CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful about cutting of power to the ECM or every time you restart the car the ecm will have to relearn the engine.
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were to put a switch on the clutch safety switch clip all I need to do is have the switch closed when starting right?

I have a button switch that is closed when the button is pressed in and opens when let go. Will this switch work?

Btw great feedback, thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If Im following you right, yes, that would work. You only need the circuit to start the car while depressing the clutch pedal. I would also hide it because in clear view a thief might just happen to press it with the pedal down while hes trying to figure it out.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Link, please.

I haven't bought my kit yet. There many different types depending on what features you want. This is a decent one...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Keyl...em3a92036ba6&vxp=mtr
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguyClick Here to Email thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I were to put a switch on the clutch safety switch clip all I need to do is have the switch closed when starting right?

I have a button switch that is closed when the button is pressed in and opens when let go. Will this switch work?

Btw great feedback, thanks

Yep, that's correct. It's your call whether you steal the wiring for the clutch pedal entirely and make the switch the only lockout, or whether you insert the switch inline with the clutch pedal. Depends on how useful you think the clutch safety switch is. In any case, nice thing about a momentary switch is that you never have to remember to switch it back off when you're done with the car.
PFF
System Bot
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to go with a button style switch since it will be easier to hide and use like say under the carpet where I could step on it with my foot when starting the car.

Looking into a cheap gps tracking system to put on the vehicle as wll to cover all my bases.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Click Here to Email Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking for an easy way to keep my car from starting so some lowlife doesn't get a free ride. Saw a thread about using the power mirror or a turn signal as a switch to allow the car to start but didn't quite understand.

:P

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 321
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Be careful about cutting of power to the ECM or every time you restart the car the ecm will have to relearn the engine.

The ECM will relearn in about 30 minutes of mixed driving so if you shut the power occasionally you should be good. If you do it every day then you probably do not want to disconnect battery power but here is a solution. Install a HD battery cut off switch on the negative side of the battery cable. Bridge the switch with a fuse holder and insert a 30 amp fuse. When the switch is off the fuse connection across the switch will keep the ECM and clock energized. If you try to start the car the fuse will blow and the ignition (and everything else) goes dead.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock