Weird throttle response ASAP by tom10122
Started on: 04-20-2015 11:27 AM
Replies: 17 (246 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 04-20-2015 05:24 PM
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went home to pickup my laptop between classes and halfway through i started having weird throttle issues. If i keep my foot at the same depth(i guess?) it slowly loses rpms and power, then when i push my foot down a tiny bit it jumps forward with power. I found that a throttle cable seems loose . I cant see how it's connected either it looks like it should be screwed on but it looks like a rivet

Car is an 88 5 speed v6, oil pressure was fine, temp was fine, checked all fluids and they were fine.

Click on the pics to see bigger version

The last two pics show how much play there is , 1 shows it all the way to 1 side, the other to the other side.

I need to get going around in about 2 hours (1:15) I know its a longshot but I needed to ask atleast

[This message has been edited by tom10122 (edited 04-20-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check engine light on?

I guess I don't see where the throttle cable would be the issue.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Check engine light on?

I guess I don't see where the throttle cable would be the issue.

I'm just trying to find possible sources of the issue. My check engine light comes on intermittently due to my vacuum leaks.

Its pouring rain here too but I would think I would loose rpms or stall if water was somewhere it shouldn't be. It idles fine.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have vac. leaks, you need to fix those. Also, what codes are stored (check engine light)?
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
13 and 32, I have an exhaust leak as well, so that should throw a 13 right?
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few ideas. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? When was the last time you changed the fuel pump and sock? Do you know what vac lines are leaking? Are you some how getting water in the distributor?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
code 13:
Oxygen Sensor Failure
When the ECM detects there's no variation in the voltage sent by the Oxygen Sensor during normal operation of the car, it wil set Code 13. Usually this means the sensor is disconnected or it needs to be replaced. Also check for a sticking or misadjusted Throttle Position Sensor.

You could have a flaky throttle position sensor, which would seem to better explain what was happening. I am not saying that your TPS is bad, but could be suspect.

code 32 is EGR system, and that shouldn't be causing any issues, unless you have bad mechanicals (bad valve or EGR tube).
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A throttle body sensor seems like it would cause the problem thanks I'll take a look before I leave .
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

A throttle body sensor seems like it would cause the problem thanks I'll take a look before I leave .

Throttle POSITION sensor
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more ideas. Is there black stuff in your throttle body, mainly around the butterfly valve? Have you cleaned the maf, iac and tb?

Throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush does wonders for cleaning the throttle body. if you spray a lot of fluid in there, just start the car at WOT help flush it through, though you should try to avoid getting that much fluid in there. It might help, it might not.

for my 86 2.5, i need to

Remove the air box housing by unplugging the IAC on the passenger side of the air filter housing, remove the IAC vac line, the 2 vac lines under the drivers side of the air filter housing and the MAF vac line at the back drivers side of the air intake where the metal ends and the intake hose begins. Unhook the large air intake plastic accordian hose. Remove the 2 bolts from the top of the air filter housing. Lift it off being mindful of your lines. You're left looking at the TB (I have TBI, I'm not sure of your fiero)

Spray the toothbrush and clean the TB butterfly valve and the TB walls. Be sure to get the back side of the butterfly valve too. You can move the valve by had or by pulling on the throttle cable.

Remove the remaining loose carbon with either a cotton swab or towel or just spray it down the TB. If you spray it down, the car might not start unless you crank it with a WoT.

Replace all your air stuff and vac lines in the reverse order i just described. It will run a little hectic for about 5 seconds while it burns off the TB cleaner if you spray it in there to clean it.

[This message has been edited by coltonandrew (edited 04-20-2015).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note... completely different setup ... he has the V6

Originally posted by coltonandrew:

A few more ideas. Is there black stuff in your throttle body, mainly around the butterfly valve? Have you cleaned the maf, iac and tb?

Throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush does wonders for cleaning the throttle body. if you spray a lot of fluid in there, just start the car at WOT help flush it through, though you should try to avoid getting that much fluid in there. It might help, it might not.

for my 86 2.5, i need to

Remove the air box housing by unplugging the IAC on the passenger side of the air filter housing, remove the IAC vac line, the 2 vac lines under the drivers side of the air filter housing and the MAF vac line at the back drivers side of the air intake where the metal ends and the intake hose begins. Unhook the large air intake plastic accordian hose. Remove the 2 bolts from the top of the air filter housing. Lift it off being mindful of your lines. You're left looking at the TB (I have TBI, I'm not sure of your fiero)

Spray the toothbrush and clean the TB butterfly valve and the TB walls. Be sure to get the back side of the butterfly valve too. You can move the valve by had or by pulling on the throttle cable.

Remove the remaining loose carbon with either a cotton swab or towel or just spray it down the TB. If you spray it down, the car might not start unless you crank it with a WoT.

Replace all your air stuff and vac lines in the reverse order i just described. It will run a little hectic for about 5 seconds while it burns off the TB cleaner if you spray it in there to clean it.

PFF
System Bot
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
decent write up though, right? hahaha

I'd look into cleaning the TB regardless
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything seemed fine? I put some fuel additive to help before I left too, had no problems. The rain also let up. I don't know what was going on but it was fine on the drive over , will post back about the drive back because it is mostly uphill coming home. Thanks guys.
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

Everything seemed fine? I put some fuel additive to help before I left too, had no problems. The rain also let up. I don't know what was going on but it was fine on the drive over , will post back about the drive back because it is mostly uphill coming home. Thanks guys.

My money is on TPS, a large vac leak sucking in water or water in the distributor cap.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad plug wires and/or connections could also show up when wet. Mist the plug wires with water at night and see if there is a lot of arcing.

Bad dist. cap can also cause issues if it gets wet (cracks or carbon traces causing arcing). It is in a dry area of the engine, so I would look at wires first.

Vac. leaks are bad no matter what. Fix those, it is cheap.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-20-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note that nothing but pedal weight keeps throttle cable "tight" when your feet isn't touching the pedal.

If pedal feels "wrong" then the cable, TPS, Thottle Body, or cruise cable could have issues.
If pedal is ok then could be iffy TPS cause problems.... but if someone remove TB heat tubes then could be having icing problems. TB/TBI and Carb Icing does not = freezing weather. High moisture and weather is/was cool can cause icing at low or cruising speeds. Humidity ~70% (3:30pm) now today because of rain this morning.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you where simply peeling out and then gained traction? Haha
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your fuel pressure

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock