Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Backup light switch not making contact, lever bent?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Backup light switch not making contact, lever bent? by FieroCat
Started on: 04-20-2015 09:10 AM
Replies: 10 (637 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 04-23-2015 05:47 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some time I've noticed that while my backup lights do work, they only come on for the brief moment that I shift the lever into reverse. As soon as I let go of the lever (and thus not putting any pressure to the left) the lights go off. I opened up the shift surround and noticed that the metal plate that pushes the backup light switch is not moving far enough to engage the switch when in reverse. I'm not sure if it is bent for some reason or what... If I put extra leftward pressure on the lever it pushes far enough, but only then. Has anyone else had this issue? I am thinking of just putting a small rubber block on the metal plate to extend the reach. It would have to be a thickness that wouldn't turn on the lights in first gear or second gear too.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

[This message has been edited by FieroCat (edited 04-20-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4 speed reverse switch has a screw on it for adjustment. If I remember right (it's been 20 years!), I put mine in reverse, then adjusted the screw until the lights came on. Hopefully somebody who still has a 4 speed will chime in with any needed corrections.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

The 4 speed reverse switch has a screw on it for adjustment. If I remember right (it's been 20 years!), I put mine in reverse, then adjusted the screw until the lights came on. Hopefully somebody who still has a 4 speed will chime in with any needed corrections.

Yep thats how I adjusted mine.....

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great! I didn't remember seeing the screw but I'll look again. Thanks!

------------------

JeffGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffGTSend a Private Message to JeffGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the shift boot, un screw the center console through the ashtrays. You'll see a black eletrical box on the driver side with a black peg sticking out. Remove the clip on the driver side of the switch and it should come out freely. you'll see the head of the peg has a screw, adjust it. Be careful not to screw it out too far or els you'll be shifting into 1st and 2nd with reverse lights flashing lol
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT 4spd has a similar issue. When I shift into reverse the lights work, when I hold the shifter to the left it'll stay in contact with the sensor. If I let go, the shifter spring pushes it to the right and releases the sensor. The car is still in reverse and moves without issue. I can pull the shifter to the left and re engage the lights. This is a pain because I have to try and steer with one hand if I want to back up and see where I'm going (or let other people know I'm reversing like in a parking lot with pedestrians)

Does this sound the same as your issue? Is this common for 4 speed cars?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have the 4 speed and could not get enough range out of the screw to keep the lights on. So I did some research. There are 2 styles of 4 speed shifters. One is better than the other,,, don't ask.
Anyway when the shifter won't stay to the left it is because of a worn roller in the shifter. It looks and works the same way as the roller in your door that keeps it open. When its worn the wind will blow the door shut. Your shifter is doing the same thing.

Sometimes you can reposition the roller but most likely the pin it centers on is worn out. I'll see if I can find pics of the 2 shifters.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KaijuSenso, yes that is exactly what mine is doing. If my screw doesn't extend all the way, I'll just mount a rubber bumper on the metal plate that makes contact with it, to increase the reach.

------------------

KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCat:

KaijuSenso, yes that is exactly what mine is doing. If my screw doesn't extend all the way, I'll just mount a rubber bumper on the metal plate that makes contact with it, to increase the reach.

My concern with extending the reach of the sensor is if you pull the shift lever all the way over, you will apply too much force and break the plastic switch. I'll have to take a look at mine based on the pictures Spoon can hopefully find and see what we can do to fix the problem, not the symptom.
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys, I still can't find those shifter pics. Still searching.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay here we go. Don't clap yet...

The six cylinder (4 speed) shifter has an adjustable lockout spring for reverse. The pics are from a post V8 Archie did some years ago.
The better shifter is the 6 cyl one on top.

Spoon

------------------

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 04-23-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock