break in question by npdimonte
Started on: 04-19-2015 10:23 PM
Replies: 2 (108 views)
Last post by: npdimonte on 04-20-2015 03:01 PM
npdimonte

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for npdimonteSend a Private Message to npdimonteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to start my first 3.4L rebuild/swap and have a question about the cooling system. The cooling system was completely dry so I'm concerned that I will have a lot of air bubbles trapped in the system. Since a break-in period of 30 minutes of non-stop running is required, I'm concerned that trapped air might work its way to the thermostat and not allow the coolant to flow correctly.

Should I leave the thermostat out during the break-in period?

What the recommend way to deal with the coolant during the break-in period?

Thanks,
Nick

------------------
Nick D.
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd
'03 Jetta GLS TDI 5-spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never had a problem with my Fieros, I just filled the radiator thru the front cap, then put a floor jack under the rear to hold it up higher and filled the engine cap. I made sure the heater was set to max heat. I just left off the rear cap and started it. I stayed beside it so if it needed more premix solution, I was there to add it. After its run and temp stayed at limits, i tightened the cap and let it run a little longer, standing there and monitoring temp. Then let it cool down on its own a few hours. Then I open the rear cap only and check, adding if needed. Then take a short drive on the freeway, come back and let it cool again and recheck. With a regular car, I just run it with the cap off, then tighten it after its checked for level. I also test drive it a few minutes, let it cool and recheck. Lastly, I add any fluid to overflow to marked limit. Thats the ways Ive done them forever, someone else might use different methods. I do leave thermostats in for either case.
npdimonte

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for npdimonteSend a Private Message to npdimonteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger,
So, you did this for an engine break-in period? You had someone inside maintaining engine RPMs at 2000 while you stood next to the engine thermostat cap?
If the rear cap was off when the engine was running at 2000rpms, didn't the coolant come out?
Was the thermostat installed during this time?

Sorry for ignorance, this is my first rebuild ever.

------------------
Nick D.
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd
'03 Jetta GLS TDI 5-spd

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay