removing the alt by ford2go
Started on: 04-18-2015 10:02 PM
Replies: 5 (120 views)
Last post by: Jdlog on 04-19-2015 03:44 PM
ford2go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ford2goSend a Private Message to ford2goEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

If there's a good writeup on this please point me to it. 84 (4 cyl )

As usual, I started taking things apart. I removed the 2 bolts, but of course it won't come out.

Found the following 2 articles
- First writeup (DIY) says drain oil and remove filter plus the lower pivot bolt mount, then it will drop out ( This looks possible)
- Autozone says remove upper strut support (dog bone?) , then do the upper and lower brackets.

Neither looks like fun, but I'd appreciate any comments or alternate approaches.

Thanks,

hj

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done it out the top on my 84 twice. First time was in a dorm parking lot, while it was snowing. If you replace the original 12SI with a CS130, it makes putting the new one back in a lot easier.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/cs130.htm
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive read about having to remove or tear the rear brake line. On mine, (86 5 speed 2.5) It looks like I can remove the dog bone and a few little objects to get at it.
ford2go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ford2goSend a Private Message to ford2goEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys ! - it's out.

For RWDPLZ (I've used no_prndl in the past because I like to shift for myself )

- Can you put in the pivot bolt before you put the bracket back in?

hj

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it looks like I'll be changing the alt in my 86 notchie, (2.5L/5sp) soon, also. I don't drive it much and the battery died...after a year parked. I just put a new one in.

However, the alternator light came on, though the gauge voltage is in the 13v + range. I may have damaged it by accidentally keeping the car running with the battery disconnected. I guess it is time to hit the archives and see what else to check before assuming the worst.

If I see something of use to this thread I'll mention it here. I'll also keep an eye on this thread, in case more input about the alternator removal may help my cause, if it comes to that.
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jdlog

494 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by ford2go:

Thanks guys ! - it's out.

For RWDPLZ (I've used no_prndl in the past because I like to shift for myself )

- Can you put in the pivot bolt before you put the bracket back in?

hj

LOL! We posted at about the same time. Glad to see it worked for you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock