Getting Fuel Injectors to Seal by fieromatty
Started on: 04-18-2015 12:33 AM
Replies: 11 (599 views)
Last post by: fieromatty on 05-06-2015 01:57 AM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fuel injectors are not seating all the way into the lower intake plenum. What is the installation process? I usually just wrench down the fuel rail and call it day but that didn't work this time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take them out and inspect the threads on the injectors and head threads, you may have some dirt in a thread, that's all it can take, or did you buy new injectors? They could be the wrong ones, compare them to the old ones and see if they are exactly the same.

other than that I got nothing.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mechanic says he uses a thin greasing. By the way, some GM cars have a thin lock ring for each injector (I didnt look for the Fiero).
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Take them out and inspect the threads on the injectors and head threads, you may have some dirt in a thread, that's all it can take, or did you buy new injectors? They could be the wrong ones, compare them to the old ones and see if they are exactly the same.

other than that I got nothing.

Steve

I don't know what threads you are talking about.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Take them out and inspect the threads on the injectors and head threads...

I thought the injectors just "pushed" into the bores, and were sealed with an O-ring?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What motor are you working on? 2.8, Duke?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using stock injectors, if you pulled them after any length of service, replace the O-rings with new ones resistant to ethanol. A little KY Jelly on the O-rings will make them slide in easily. You don't need the lock rings. They are actually only needed when the manufacturer shipped the rail and injectors to the engine assembly plant. It kept everything together. The fuel rail will hold the injectors in place. Be sure the hats (caps) on the ends of the old injectors aren't still inside the lower manifold if you're installing new injectors.
fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check orings on injectors, preferrably replace them, add some dielectric grease and push them in, they should seat perfect.

------------------
Garage:

**2014 impala LT 3.6L 305hp**

**1986 Fiero 2m6 4spd**

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A long shot perhaps but maybe your new injectors have two mounting grooves for the loaking tabs, and you have them on the wrong ones? The Accel injectors I bought were like that.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This below might help
2.8 Injectors are not threaded. Personally, I like using the lock rings, even though the injectors usually stay in the rail when putting everything back together, I like the little added security of keeping the injectors in place while seating the fuel rail assembly, just my 2c

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 04-20-2015).]

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
This link has some good info on the correct 2.8 Injectors
Which Fuel Injector is Correct?
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to update, I got it figured out.

I replaced all the seals and plastic pintle caps when i had the injectors out of the car during my swap. The problem was, I didn't use grease to slide the injectors in the fuel rail.. I forced them in with my hands (and I mean really force, it was difficult). I ended up cutting up the orings in this process which was causing my leaks.... Had to do them all over again with some grease. They slid right in, no effort at all, no leak too.

Thanks for all the info guys. Love all the great help on here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock