Started on: 04-17-2015 09:03 PM
Replies: 5 (193 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 04-19-2015 02:56 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want Homelink in my "new" Fiero. I've seen some high(er) end vehicles with it mounted in the visor. Does anyone know 1) which vehicles it came in (in the visor) and 2) how it's mounted there? I'm guessing it has some sort of remote brain box as the Homelinks I've seen are pretty bulky.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's actually pretty easy. I did it several years ago in my El Camino. Easiest step would be to find a visor that would fit the Fiero. All you need is 12v and ground to the visor. I went the harder way, and modified my Elky visor ( I was recovering it anyway). To do this you buy a used Homelink Module on Ebay for about $20 ( inflation- used to be $10!). Get one that is "Rolling Code". It's usually mentioned in the description, but most newer ones are this style. Color is not important, since you can dye them using SEM or even Duplicolor, but if you can get the right color to start, so much the better. Next step is to get power and ground to the visor- both are available in the overhead Dome Light console, so that part is easy. You want constant power for the module. If you want to get fancy, go to the pick and pull, and find a lighted visor. Grab the connector with some pigtail. they are very small, and work well in the small confines of the headliner. The rest is all in modifying the "backbone" of the visor so that the homelink will fit, padding it just a little ( I used 1/8" foam), and then recovering.

Here's a link for a general write up on recovering visors .

HTH
http://www.upholster.com/auto/auto-trim.htm

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something that may work for you.....
I installed a new rear view mirror with auto dim and homelink. Modernized the interior quite a bit and the auto dim is a necessity with such a low car.
I think i paid $70 on eBay.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darbysan --- Thanks! Good info.

f85gtron --- I'm looking at a mirror like that now. Auto dim, Homelink, "mood" light, compass and temp. (Also looking for a Firebird BCM and door panels.) Definitely need to modernize the interior. That's just about the only thing I never drooled over.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put mine in the overhead console...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089208.html

Would have liked to do a compass / temp / homelink / auto-dim mirror, but ERMAGHARD, they're expensive.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-18-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently, the mounting bracket doesn't work on the one the seller has. Back to the drawing board. Honesly, I'd rather have outside temp and auto dim than HL. I can do the HL like you did.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock