88 lumbar disassembly by tom10122
Started on: 04-16-2015 01:52 PM
Replies: 3 (515 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 04-19-2015 01:29 PM
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever disassemble a lumbar seat? I've had 1 since I got the car but it doesn't work, seems like the pump needs replacing or some connections need to be cleaned up since I can't hear the pump run at all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are just dealing with the pump - pull the seat to access the pump it's on the bottom (power connector is underneath so don't just yank it out ).

Check that you have power at the connector, before going any further. Then apply power to the pump directly to see if the pump works - could be the pump or the switch. Early 80's Corvettes used a similar system, maybe the pump is the same and can be made to work. The switch assembly is a different story as it is unique to the Fiero - the ones in the Corvette are different but maybe can be gutted and fitted to the Fiero's unit. The switch assembly can be removed, but I don't recall if it pulls through the bottom or the top (it is just held in place with the seat foam once you remove the 2 top screws). Now that I think about it, it probably pulls down due to the metal bracket for the screws.

Then there is the bladders, they may leak due to age. Rodney Dickman use to sell them and I am not sure he has any left (email him directly to ask).

To get at the bladder you have to remove the seat covers.
Pondski

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PondskiSend a Private Message to PondskiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your air pump and bladders may need to be replaced. Time takes it's toll.

You can find a pump at your local junk yard in any GM car that has a lumbar seat. Grand Prix, Bonneville etc.

Contact Rodney Dickman for the bladders.

Get yourself a set of Hog Ring Pliers from you local upholstery shop and you are ready to go!

This is a bladder and pump from a SSE seat - The bladder is rubber and will not blow out like the plastic ones used in the Fiero.

Good luck

------------------
Thanks, Chris

C.Pond@rocketmail.com

donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the Fiero switches plug n play with the later model Pontiac pumps?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock