Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What's involved in swapping a 4 spd and spindles from one cradle to another?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's involved in swapping a 4 spd and spindles from one cradle to another? by Lou and Blue
Started on: 04-15-2015 09:17 PM
Replies: 5 (138 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 04-17-2015 02:03 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about to remove my cradle for a 3800 sc swap. I noticed mine was rotted really bad under the battery area. I am purchasing a bare cradle with control arms this coming weekend from a forum member .
My question is:
When I move my tranny and spindles from my cradle to the new one, does anything have to be welded or pressed in Like ball joints to attach the spindles to the control arms and do I need to change the tie rod end attachments?
Thank you!
Pics would be very helpful.
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The knuckles attach to the ball joints with pinch bolts. Pull the bolt and nut off and the knuckle will lift right off of the ball joint stem. I would replace the control arm bushings and ball joints on the new cradle or simply move your control arms over if they are in better shape. Do not loosen or remove the knuckle to strut bolts, just unbolt the struts at the top and drop them with the cradle. You may still need an alignment when all is said and done, but it will be much closer if you leave the struts and knuckles together.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you . I am pulling the struts out with the old cradle. I have new struts and spring to install once i swap the tranny to the new cradle. I have poly control arm bushings to put in the new cradle which has better condition control arms than what I have . Do I have to install ball joints and do the ball joint have to be welded in? There MAY be ball joints on the cradles control arms I buy, if I replace them with new ones do they have to be welded or pressed I to the control arms?

Sorry I wasnt clear
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear ball joints are bolted in. You will have to grind / drill/ / chisel / dynamite the old rivets out to remove the original ball joint, then the new one just bolts on.

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 04-17-2015).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the control arms on the new cradle have ball joints, can I just attach my spindles to them?

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure can. Now is a good time to replace them, though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock