another 2.5 high idle by NEVERDONE
Started on: 04-13-2015 09:44 PM
Replies: 4 (179 views)
Last post by: deceler8 on 06-11-2015 07:28 PM
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here goes nothin. 84 duke 4 speed all stock. Starts up. Runs sort of rough for about 5 seconds. Then smooths out and starts reving up. Stops and idles high untill I turn it off. I have followed ogre's steps on the vacuum lines and we throttle body spray. Even replaced all the rubber lines and the fuel vapor canister. I did notice the cover for the idle set screw was removed so I backed it out a little. Very little difference. I sprayed an entire can of throttle body cleaner all around and it did not stumble at all. I unplugged each he tps while running and no stall. Same with the iac and egr valve. Im at a loss. Any ideas?!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scan the ECM? Does ECM match the tach? Note that Idle speed w/ scan tool active should be ~1000rpm.

Carefully pinch vac line to brake booster?
Line to booster or booster itself can be a vac leak issue.

Small changes of idle stop then IAC will adjust accordingly.
Too must and ECM can set DTC and/or engine could be hard to start.
reset the stop, See my Cave, Idle Stop

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will have to see if I can find a scan tool for that system. I only know how to do the check engine. And I will try the idle set tomorrow.

And 2 things; 1) ogre how did you get so knowledgeable and,
2) I love that quote. One of my favs!
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just thought I would post an update. I replaced the TPS and the IAC and even checked the timing, and still had the high idle. today I replaced the temperature sensor for the ECM and when we fired it up, guess what, no high idle! we let the car run for about 20 minutes, and guess what else, no high idle at all and, the cooling fan came on by itself when it reached the right temperature! so if you've tried everything else and still idling high, check that sensor it's the one on the thermostat housing. thanks for all your help and ideas.
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Park it in the garage for 6 months. Let battery go dead.

Charge battery, then start.

Damn thing idles perfectly...never did that the 15 years I drove it. Always fast idled at 2500.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock