Disable VATS in 3.4 DOHC swap by cptnoremac
Started on: 04-12-2015 10:03 PM
Replies: 6 (370 views)
Last post by: cptnoremac on 06-30-2015 11:38 AM
cptnoremac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptnoremacSend a Private Message to cptnoremacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, everyone. This is my first post, though I've visited here several times over the years.

I have an '88 Formula, 5-speed. I paid someone to install an LQ1 out of a '96 Grand Prix. It took about a year and a half, but it's finally in there. However, it only runs for a little bit before it dies because the computer's anti-theft system doesn't like its new home. We've been searching around and nobody who reprograms vehicle computers for a living seems to want to tackle this issue. Has anyone had this problem? I'm open to trying to fix it myself (maybe with some resistors in series with the ignition or something), but I'd really like to just find someone I can mail the computer to who can do the work for me.

Thank you for your help.

[This message has been edited by cptnoremac (edited 04-12-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sinister performance! He will reprogram your PCM for the manual trans and eliminate the vats. http://www.gmtuners.com/
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would be best answered by some one that has done a number of PCM reflashes.
The PCM is expecting a signal from the cars BCM "body control" for a VATS signal. If you are SURE it is VATS and not PASSKEY there are signal generators you can buy to send the PCM the VATS signal. Other then that, you will need to have the PCM reflashed. Depending on the PCM, many of the 1996 PCMs were not flashing friendly. This was due to the memory that was used in early ODBII PCMs.
Look online for 30/50hz VATS signal generators. I think it was 50 for older VATS and 30hz for later ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vat...91557368578&vxp=mtr. Something like this.
The generators normally require ground, ignition power and the VATS line to the PCM to be wired up. The resistor bypass only works by fooling the BCM that you have the right key. And that is if you have a BCM.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 04-12-2015).]

cptnoremac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptnoremacSend a Private Message to cptnoremacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I'll pass your replies along to my guy and let you know what happens.

------------------

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan at Sinister did mine. EVERYTHING worked on the first try.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

cptnoremac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptnoremacSend a Private Message to cptnoremacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a hold of him. Turns out he was already trying to contact Sinister, but they don't have a phone so he had to wait for them to e-mail back. I also showed him that eBay link and he said that would work too, but that it would end up costing the same or more because he'd charge me the labor of wiring it in. So we're shipping it off to Sinister today and hopefully I'll have the car ready to go in a week or so.
cptnoremac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptnoremacSend a Private Message to cptnoremacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An update in case anyone's interested. Ryan ended up in the ER before he got to work on the computer so it took about a month before he got it back to me. It's installed now and we just need to do the exhaust and the air conditioner before I can have the car back.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock