Started on: 04-12-2015 06:08 AM
Replies: 13 (396 views)
Last post by: Gandalf on 04-27-2015 11:37 AM
proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could i put NOS on a 2800 V6 fiero engine?
what are the limitation?
i know what it does, never done it before
Want to do it with a lawn mower first
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Used correctly, Nitrous can increase the power of an otherwise stock engine by ~50% with very little risk.

Used incorrectly, Nitrous can smash your pistons into small pieces and leave those pieces in the oil pan.

1FST2M6 on this forum (hasn't posted for several years, though) used to have a *VERY* carefully tuned 125 shot on his 2.8.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Used correctly, Nitrous can increase the power of an otherwise stock engine by ~50% with very little risk.

Used incorrectly, Nitrous can smash your pistons into small pieces and leave those pieces in the oil pan.

Even when used correctly, sometimes bad things can still happen. I've seen a nitrous backfire in an intake blow intake scoops straight off dragsters, and 60 feet into the air. Of course those were systems with several hundred to a thousand HP added with nitrous, too. A 50-75 shot should be very little risk as long as it's installed and used properly, on a Fiero.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your local department of transport rules first. In my jurisdicion NOS is outlawed for street use

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Even when used correctly, sometimes bad things can still happen. I've seen a nitrous backfire in an intake blow intake scoops straight off dragsters, and 60 feet into the air. Of course those were systems with several hundred to a thousand HP added with nitrous, too. A 50-75 shot should be very little risk as long as it's installed and used properly, on a Fiero.

TUNED is a very important factor. You pull a system out of the box, drop it on the car and go run fast... it needs to be dialed in with the right nozzle sizes, fuel pressure, throttle switch setup, etc.

I thought it was illegal for street use pretty much everywhere.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TUNED is a very important factor. You pull a system out of the box, drop it on the car and go run fast... it needs to be dialed in with the right nozzle sizes, fuel pressure, throttle switch setup, etc.

I thought it was illegal for street use pretty much everywhere.

Yeah. It is pretty much illegal on the street pretty much everywhere in the US at this point.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Check your local department of transport rules first. In my jurisdicion NOS is outlawed for street use

Australia doesn't even like blow off valves, so I'm pretty sure NOS is probably illegal on street cars too, down there.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Australia doesn't even like blow off valves, so I'm pretty sure NOS is probably illegal on street cars too, down there.

here if we want to do anything with a car of any kind , we have to get an engineering report costing from $500 to $1800.
NOS is definently not allowed for street use because the cops know they can't catch a car on NOS.
They just will radio ahead and use road spikes
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

here if we want to do anything with a car of any kind , we have to get an engineering report costing from $500 to $1800.
NOS is definently not allowed for street use because the cops know they can't catch a car on NOS.
They just will radio ahead and use road spikes

Of course they can catch you. NOS will only run for a few seconds. Any modern police car is going to be far faster than a 2.8L Fiero. Once your NOS shot is used up, they will catch up to you in no time

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
Of course they can catch you. NOS will only run for a few seconds. Any modern police car is going to be far faster than a 2.8L Fiero. Once your NOS shot is used up, they will catch up to you in no time

Especially after you burn a hole in the pistons and end up in a ditch or something. Even on a car built to handle the N2O, they will still catch you. The scene in Gone in 60 Seconds was fun, but not at all realistic (well, unless the cops flying the heli are really that stupid). N2O is illegal for safety reasons, not because the cops are afraid they won't catch you.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Especially after you burn a hole in the pistons and end up in a ditch or something. Even on a car built to handle the N2O, they will still catch you. The scene in Gone in 60 Seconds was fun, but not at all realistic (well, unless the cops flying the heli are really that stupid). N2O is illegal for safety reasons, not because the cops are afraid they won't catch you.

I don't think it's illegal for an actual reason. It's just illegal, like pot.
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think it's illegal for an actual reason. It's just illegal, like pot.

NOx / Possibly an emission issue.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Possibly" = wild ass guess.

The reason most things are made law is that some special interest group that makes campaign contributions asked for it to be made law. Looking for a "reason" is pointless because there isn't one.
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Proff, do you think you'll get even more of a boost with NOS than with your H2/O2 electrolysis (browns gas) nonsense?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock