Repairing Metal Headlight Surround by reinhart
Started on: 04-12-2015 04:34 AM
Replies: 12 (211 views)
Last post by: bkw88 on 04-14-2015 07:40 PM
reinhart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartClick Here to Email reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever repaired the metal piece that surrounds the headlight bulb and holds it in? I had a headlight go out and when I was replacing it, one of the metal tabs on the metal surround that holds the bulb in came off. I tried superglue and soldering it but nothing seems to hold.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tabs are spot-welded on. If you still have 3 of the tabs, I wouldn't worry about losing one. The remaining tabs will hold the light without problems.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The right ones that fit well are getting hard to find. I can check to see if I have one if you are interested.

------------------

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageClick Here to Email ltlfrariSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have managed to weld those tabs back on, or make a new one out of a piece of steel and weld that on, but you gotta be quick with the mig!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Click Here to Email Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the two bottom tabs break off the welds causing the headlight to flop around over bumps and cause the motor to jam up sometimes because the headlight bulb wouldn't stay in all the way.

I used a small drill, and a rivet gun with small rivets and riveted them back on. Just use a bench vise or have someone hold the two tabs in a pair of vice-grips while you drill two holes where the spot welds used to be, then drill out the same two holes on the headlight surrounds. They may not line up perfect with the screw holes, but they should be close enough to get persuade back into the screw holes as long as you drill where the old spot welds used to be... Also, make sure you rivet it downward, so that the smooth "domed" side is towards the headlight. This was actually the first fix I did to my car last year... It's been a year and it's still holding strong!

Good luck!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Click Here to Email donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you refering to the metal ring with the 4 phillips screws, or the headlamp housing itself? If it's the metal ring, most auto part stores carry replacements.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Are you refering to the metal ring with the 4 phillips screws, or the headlamp housing itself? If it's the metal ring, most auto part stores carry replacements.

They used to. Last fall I wend to every auto parts store in town. Most cars on the road don't have our kind of headlights anymore so they don't stock them anymore. Half the guys did not know what I was asking for.

12.95 at the Fiero Store.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the chrome trim and metal part the aims the HL bulb are common and available thru many parts stores.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-75742-42437.aspx
Have just chrome and bucket separate
get/order at local parts stores.

Likely need http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-9725-42161.aspx too.
------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-12-2015).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartClick Here to Email reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the riveting idea. Will pick up a cheap rivet gun at Harbor Freight and give it a go. The gun is cheaper than the replacement surrounds so might as well get the tool that can help in the future as well.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Click Here to Email 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre! A new one is likely worth it. I had to replace a headlight a second time in two years. I think I cleaned up and painted the reflector the first time. Still looks like hell.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick aiming
See my Cave, Headlights
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Click Here to Email bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might try a local wrecking yard. Look for a 82-94 s10 or about same years full size Chevy truck. They are the exact same thing. Probably find for a couple bucks in about any wrecking yard.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock