Ran out of gas or? Noise then engine died by FieroCat
Started on: 04-11-2015 05:08 PM
Replies: 5 (174 views)
Last post by: FieroCat on 04-11-2015 11:00 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, a bit stumped on a recent occurrence on my 86 GT V6 4-speed. Was driving on the freeway when I started to hear a sucking noise coming from the front passenger side (I think?) it would intermittently make the sound, then it became louder and more frequent over the next few minutes. Sounded very much like a dentist's vacuum wand and drill combined. I pulled in to a gas station and the engine died right as I did so. I am hoping that I was running out of gas and the noise was the fuel pump sucking air, but it only took 7 gallons to fill it. Further, After I filled the tank, I've driven it a few times and haven't replicated the noise. Could it be the fuel pump acting up? Fuel filter? Or just really ran out of gas and the tanks are smaller than I had thought?

Might not be related, but I changed the oil just before it happened. Also, the temperature gauge seems to get a little hotter now. Not red zone, but just around the middle. It usually never gets higher than a quarter.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have air in the cooling system and you heard it going through the heater core. Check your coolant overflow tank and see if it is empty.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overflow bottle is still fairly full. I will keep listening as I continue to drive it and see if it persists or was just a hiccup. Not sure how air in the coolant would cause the engine to die though! Didn't overheat.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There seems to be more than one issue. I can't think of one fix that will deal with all the symptoms. Perhaps you got some bad fuel.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump pick up may have come loose and is only picking up gas from the top. Hence a fill-up only takes 7 gallons. You would need to drop the tank and check the fuel pump assembly.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds plausible. For the time being I think I will just be sure to keep the tank filled as much as possible, and if it does it again it could be something else.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock