Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Door handle issues (external and internal)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Door handle issues (external and internal) by echocharliepapa
Started on: 04-11-2015 03:09 PM
Replies: 5 (273 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-12-2015 05:22 PM
echocharliepapa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for echocharliepapaSend a Private Message to echocharliepapaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I've had this metal clip hanging from underneath my exterior driver's side door handle for a few months. The handle still worked, and a quick search came up with no info on this particular problem, so I didn't think much of it, figured it just provided tension to the handle itself and not the mechanism in the door. Yesterday, my interior driver's side door handle... overextended? It still works, too, but now it sticks out at a ~20-30 degree angle at all times. Are the two issues related? Does anyone have a diagram or video on how to reattach the clip on the exterior? Am I going to have to take the door panel off to fix the interior handle or just remove the handle housing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
echocharliepapa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for echocharliepapaSend a Private Message to echocharliepapaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The outside metal clip is a spring to keep the handle down I believe. The interior handle thing I would take a look at. You don't want to have a stuck door you can't open since you need to open the door to fix the door that won't open lol.

More than likely something fairly easy to spot with the panel off. I had a bad handle on one of my cars I had to replace, very easy.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
inside handle can bend/break before handle is totally dead.
outside look broken spring.

Both problems... Get another handle.

Try dorman.com then get/order thru many part stores.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

echocharliepapa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for echocharliepapaSend a Private Message to echocharliepapaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the interior handle snapped yesterday, the very next time I was in it. I'll be ordering a replacement, but while I'm waiting for it, can I just switch the broken one with the passenger's side? They're interchangeable, right?

I see everybody talking about the Dorman replacements on the forum here, has anybody used the LatchWell parts instead? This set comes with both interior handles and both exterior handles and ships free.

[This message has been edited by echocharliepapa (edited 04-12-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by echocharliepapa:
Yeah, the interior handle snapped yesterday, the very next time I was in it. I'll be ordering a replacement, but while I'm waiting for it, can I just switch the broken one with the passenger's side? They're interchangeable, right?

I see everybody talking about the Dorman replacements on the forum here, has anybody used the LatchWell parts instead? This set comes with both interior handles and both exterior handles and ships free.
Don't think so for outside... Right won't work on left door etc.
Inside handle works either.

No but likely is same as Dorman.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock