Common coolant leak locations? by coltonandrew
Started on: 04-11-2015 09:21 AM
Replies: 18 (1555 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 04-16-2015 12:29 PM
coltonandrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello! Last night I came to the sudden and saddening realization that my 86 2.5 overheats when sitting still too long. This was discovered while waiting at a drive thru (long slow line) when I looked at the temp gauge and it was reading at 260 with the temp warning light on. I don't know how long it was overheating for but thankfully I was just at an idle. I shut the car off and noticed the smell of coolant with some bubbling that sounded like the coolant was boiling or leaking. the coolant seamed to be coming from the hack half

For now, there is no coolant in the oil, so I'm thinking I either blew a coolant line or some component melted.

Where are the common spots that these guys leak?

Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
details I just checked. There \s still coolant in the thermostat/ coolant fill side and about an inch of coolant in the reservoir in the front. Im really thinking I blew a hose now and possibly introduced air into the system.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what happened to your radiator fan?
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it isnt engaging. All the wires look fine though. Ive only had the car 3 weeks, 1 week was waiting on an new fuel pump. so 2 weeks of 5 minute drives to work and 5 longer (20+ mile) drives and 1 that was 2 hours on the highway. It never gave any indication of over heating
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I could tell, the leak is in the back half, but looks like it was dripping from just behind the seats. I couldnt identify anything aside from the coolant on the ground. There was no light to look underneath and trace it. The therm gasket housing in in perfect condition and full of clean coolant.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any system is going to leak at 260*F. Get your fan switch fixed......or whatever the problem is.
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does dried coolant leave a white film when dried or any kind of clue as to where it was dripping from?
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

65 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Gall757 do you mean there is a possibility I did not blow a hose and instead engaged a fail safe of sorts?

coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

65 posts
Member since Mar 2015
So right now Im trying to fill the coolant. I have the rad cap and therm housing cap off, on level ground. When I start the car to start the purge, the therm housing side starts gushing coolant with in 20 seconds. Is there a work around for this?

I think i need a procedure list/ guide. Ive seen a few and Im trying one but I don't know if it actually works.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coltonandrew:

Gall757 do you mean there is a possibility I did not blow a hose and instead engaged a fail safe of sorts?

Hose clamps are only as good as designed and installed. Too much pressure will force water by the clamp. Your car is designed to never operate over 235*. There is a radiator fan that should turn on at that temp. The switch is in the engine block. You should test the fan by grounding the switch wire on the engine block......

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-11-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I took off both caps (radiator in front and therm housing in back)

poured coolant in the resevoir first (gave about 4 inches above the resevoir intake) then slowly poured ~1 cup at a time into the thermostat housing opening with the termostate out.

Every cup, I would check to see if the fluid was coming from the radiator cap openng.

Once I saw the mouth at the radiator cap opening was wet, I capped it off and continued to slowly fill the thermostat housing opening until the neck was full.

Replaced the Therm Housing cap with an oil filter wrench with the thermostat out.

Started the car and ran for 30 seconds, shut if off, removed the therm housing cap,

added coolant accordingly

lather rinse repeat (5 times for me) until it stopped dropping in levels and the side house no longer spat out bubbles.

Reinserted the thermostat, wrenched down the thermostat housing cap, finished filling the reservoir up front, leaving apprpriate space for expansion.

let it run until it reached 220, gave it a hard rev and checked for leaking coolant.

None was to be found!!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was fun, but now you need to fix your car.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your car have AC? If so, the radiator fan should come on when you turn on the AC.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this quick fix i explained got me 1300 miles home. It was a nightmare drive. if I shut the car off, i had to wait until it cooled to start again (about 1 hour) so I stopped turning it off. Stopping every 200 miles for gas, I only shut the car off twice. Once was to sleep. The other times, I had 5 minutes to run inside, go to the bathroom, grab and drink and fill the tank to prevent the overheating.

Then... I developed an oil leak somewhere around mile 600, the car stopped shifting with the clutch so I had to learn clutchless shifting on the fly, if I went 75mph, the car would shake like it was about to explode on me so I had to go 68mph but I made it home with no overheating!

The glass is always half full hahah
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You owe that car big-time! It's amazing what a cheaply built GM product from the 80s can take and still keep going.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock