Distributor stuck! by Bigbear68
Started on: 04-11-2015 07:53 AM
Replies: 9 (278 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-20-2015 01:00 AM
Bigbear68

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigbear68Send a Private Message to Bigbear68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I am having problems removing my distributor.
It feels like it's stuck in the gears?

I can turn the "outside" with no problems, the rotor can be turned some degrees and lifts "as usual"... and then I can get it up some extra millimeters.
Then, nothing...

Anu idéas on how to move forward?
How much force to use and where to apply

...or did I simply miss something along the way?

BR Bigbear
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Have you moved the crankshaft at all? If you rotate it a half turn or so, forward and back....it would help. What engine do you have?
Bigbear68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigbear68Send a Private Message to Bigbear68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx,

I have not tried rotating. The engine is a 2.8 V6 on a 86 GT.

//BB
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First the obvious but I have to ask. Did you take out the single bolt and hold down? Other than that just try and rotate the shift as you pull up. They can be a bit hard sometimes but it shouldn't take the hulk to get it out either
Bigbear68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigbear68Send a Private Message to Bigbear68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep,

bolt and hold down is gone. Trying to turn the rotor as I pull.
No luck

Removed the ignition coil to get more space but it's just stuck.. but at least the housing moves around fine )

[This message has been edited by Bigbear68 (edited 04-11-2015).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More twisting and more up force on the distributor housing. The O-ring at the base is most likely sticking and holding it in.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get one of those bar clamps from HF or somewhere and use it as a spreader.
Bigbear68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigbear68Send a Private Message to Bigbear68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More force and more twisting did it, thanks!!
I now have a new pick up coil and a live Fiero
LiftHatch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LiftHatchSend a Private Message to LiftHatchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going through the same issue as the op, I will rotate the crank pulley and wiggle the dizzy around next time and report the results.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LiftHatch:

I will rotate the crank pulley and wiggle the dizzy around next time and report the results.

IMO, it makes no difference rotating the the crankshaft to remove the distributor. It's not the gear at the bottom of the distributor that gets stuck, it's the O-ring of the outer housing that may sometimes bind on the way up and out of the lower intake plenum. Twist the housing back and forth while pulling up as hard as possible. If it can be raised at all, but it's still sticking, squirt some lubricant down where the O-ring sits.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-20-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock