Problems with moving my fiero by Sleepyboii
Started on: 04-10-2015 09:11 PM
Replies: 24 (372 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 04-13-2015 03:04 AM
Sleepyboii

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepyboiiSend a Private Message to SleepyboiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When my dad finally let me have the 86 Fiero GT that was being held in the garage I immediately bought it a battery. The problem I'm experiencing is that the car starts fine but it sounds as if it wants to cut off. In addition, when I set it to reverse the car jerks and the engine seems to cut off. The same when put into drive. Any suggestions on what to do or ideas what could be the problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're not giving us much to work with , but...

How long has the car been sitting? Was it running properly before being parked? How old is the gas, and how much is in the tank?
Sleepyboii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepyboiiSend a Private Message to SleepyboiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry about the lack of information...but it was sitting for about 8 years or so. I replenished the gas since it didn't have any and the oil is new too. From what I remember the car ran well in the past.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's auto, try unplugging the TCC.
Grizz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that after sitting that long the brake pads are probably stuck to the rotors. Jack up the car and try turning the wheels. If that is the case I'm not sure what the BEST remedy is. You can spray the pads with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster where the pad contacts the rotor, but that will ruin the pad. Brake pads aren't that expensive however. Just don't drive the car until you've replaced them.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pads may be stuck to the rotors, but the calipers could also be frozen. Get those and the parking brake working first. Unplug the TCC, then test.

Most of those lubricants like PB blaster are oil-based. They would smoke with the heat. If you use such a product, clean thoroughly.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely the pads or calipers are stuck.

However, the e-brake cable could also be seized. If it is, it's best just to replace it. You can always remove it, hang it vertically and see if you can drip PB Blaster into the end. With a bit of luck that could unstick it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little confused how the issue went from an engine that wants to stall to sticking brakes?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-11-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I'm a little confused how the issue went from an engine that wants to stall to sticking brakes?

no clue either...

but Oil spray on any brakes is a good way to ruin the brakes.
Frozen cable might help but anything else Hates oil and most greases.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
big help if we knew if it was auto or stick. If auto, I agree the torgue converter lockup could cause an auto to stall out if its stuck engaged. In neutral can you move the car by hand ? If it rolls, the brakes aren't stuck. If it don't, jack up each wheel to see which is stuck. Any car that's sat 8 years needs a total brake job anyway before Id drive it a block. Chances are they would go out on the way where your going from seals or lines going bad.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good point...I thought it was a manual, not an auto. Guess I can't read.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try unplugging the TCC connector from the transmission.

Stuck brakes do not and can not make your engine stall. Stuck brakes would be no difference to the car than sitting at a stop light.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why all the references to brakes... and to transmissions?

Originally posted by Sleepyboii:

The problem I'm experiencing is that the car starts fine but it sounds as if it wants to cut off.

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why all the references to brakes... and to transmissions?

The TCC is a common failure. If it is stuck there will be no "neutral" and the car will stall, not idle.

The reference to brakes is due to a misunderstanding of the car as it related to the problem.
Sleepyboii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepyboiiSend a Private Message to SleepyboiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is an automatic.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

The TCC is a common failure. If it is stuck there will be no "neutral" and the car will stall, not idle.

Does a stuck TCC affect the tranny when it's in "Park"? If so, I was unaware of that. I thought it only affected the tranny (by stalling the engine when coming to a stop) while in "Drive" (or in "Reverse").
Sleepyboii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepyboiiSend a Private Message to SleepyboiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad was saying it could be a bad sensor or loose hose. Could he be right?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does a stuck TCC affect the tranny when it's in "Park"? If so, I was unaware of that. I thought it only affected the tranny (by stalling the engine when coming to a stop) while in "Drive" (or in "Reverse").

I phrased my statement wrong, I should have said no neutral in gear. You are correct. His complaint was that it runs poorly and jerks and wants to cut off in forward and reverse. It only takes seconds to unplug the TCC, common sense says start there. But instead of doing this simple test for a common problem he wants someone the tell him it can be a "loose hose" or a "sensor".
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon

5233 posts
Member since Dec 2002

My dad was saying it could be a bad sensor or loose hose. Could he be right?

Ask him what sensor or hose he is talking about. The two possibilities really mean nothing, other than he doesn't know what is wrong and said two car words to sound smart.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

His complaint was that it runs poorly and jerks and wants to cut off in forward and reverse.

Ah, but back up half a step. The heading of this thread is certainly misleading , but if I'm interpreting the first post correctly, the engine wants to stall even prior to putting it into gear. If the engine is running very poorly while out of gear, it's no surprise that it stalls when put under load in "Drive" or "Reverse".

The problem I'm experiencing is that the car starts fine but it sounds as if it wants to cut off.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-12-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible that a rodent may have made a home in the car during the 8 years? Could a vacuum hose be chewed on or cracked? Isn't there a vacuum modulator on the tranny?

------------------
1987 Fiero coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I am surprised that no one has told you to back away from the car yet. You need to go though the basics before you even try to start it.

Our little cars are pretty basic, they need 3 things to run. Air Spark and Fuel....

First you need to change the oil, flush the coolant (check the ogre's cave for refill instructions. His page is linked at the top of every page) and check the trans fluid level. Having brakes that work is great, but they are not gonna keep your motor from idling properly.

You might want to put a little oil in the cylinders to help the motor turn over....

Check fuel... the 2.8 needs about 40-48 psi primed (just turn to the key to run, do not start it yet) you will have to hook a fuel gauge up to the fuel rail.

Check for spark, one of the biggest problems I have encountered with my fiero is problems with spark. The ICM is a common failure point.... I would change spark plugs and plug wires if you have the money. You might even want to rebuild the distributor if you can spare the cash. If you don't address these problems now, chances are you will find yourself stranded on the side of the road in less then a month.

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's been sitting for eight years, everything rubber and everything in the fuel system is 100% suspect. I would be expecting vacuum leaks, fuel blockages (filter and injectors), and all sorts of coolant hoses and belts just getting ready to fail. The nearly stalling thing could be poor delivery from a clogged filter or injectors or significant vacuum leaks, so I'd start with that stuff. Bringing cars back from the dead is always dealing with a million little annoying details.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock