Battery Light On With Voltage Normal by reinhart
Started on: 04-08-2015 06:58 PM
Replies: 7 (398 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-12-2015 04:56 PM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Voltage is within normal range at about 13.5 volts, yet battery light is lit and stays on with no voltage drain even on a several hour drive I went on recently. I've always had the voltage light come on when the voltage was out of range typically due to a bad alternator. This is in an 88GT with auxiliary gauges.

I'm probably going to replace the alternator anyway, but it makes me curious now.

What else does the battery light indicate other than voltage low or high?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a short in the wire to the bat light. If it grounds out it will stay lit.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope it was something inside the alternator, as I just replaced it and the light is off, and all systems are normal again.

I am still curious as what else the light is indicating if it turns on without a voltage outside the range. Any ideas?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If not shorted... alt regulator had problems cause light to be on.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same exact problem, put in a Brand New alt, light went out, 2 days later, It's BACK ON Again ! but Still charges at 13.5-14 Annoying !
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of years ago - I had my battery light on and then I realised that I had all the brackets powder coated the I way I got round this was to put an earth strap from the dog bone bolt to the alternator and hey presto the light went out.

Moral of the story - make sure it is properly grounded before tearing the alternator it could save you time.

jon
larry mimbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a small part inside the alternator called a diode trio. It has three diodes that take power from the stator and feed the voltage regulator. If one of the three diodes fail, the alternator will put out near full power, but the light will stay on. It is cheap and easy to install.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larry mimbs:
There is a small part inside the alternator called a diode trio. It has three diodes that take power from the stator and feed the voltage regulator. If one of the three diodes fail, the alternator will put out near full power, but the light will stay on. It is cheap and easy to install.
No. 88 V6 have CS130 and CS130 doesn't have this item.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock