Need help with a steering situation by Nextel dude
Started on: 04-08-2015 04:38 PM
Replies: 8 (238 views)
Last post by: Nextel dude on 04-10-2015 07:48 AM
Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange thing happened today. I was driving my 88 notchie to the post office and made a left turn on to another street
and when the wheel came back straight the car started to pull to the left. I didn't hit any holes or hear any noises at all.
If I let go of the steering wheel it pulled left.

When I got to the post office I parked with the steering wheel straight and got out and looked and my left front tire (drivers side)
had a toe out and the top of the tire leaning in. Not sure if that is negative or positive camber.

Again I did not hit anything or hear any noises. I walked a few miles home and got my truck and a floor jack and checked out
the front end. I grabbed the tire at 6 and 12 and then 3 and 9 and everything was tight. Did a visual on the tie rods and ball joints and
still everything seemed fine so I cranked on the tie rod a few times to pull in the toe and slowly drove home.

I am at a loss as I don't have a clue what happened. I've had worn ball joints and tie rods before and they allowed some movement
when shaking the wheel. If I cannot get any ideas of what could have possibly happened then I will take it to an alignment shop but would
rather fix it myself. Strange stuff. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Chuck

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ride home was ok but I went slow and easy.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upper control arm cross-shaft bolt holes are elongated in the crossmember to allow camber adjustments. If the bolt slips, the upper control arm will slide in an cause the issue you are having. Check to see if it looks like the control arm cross-shaft or bolt has moved recently.

https://www.google.com/?gws...se+site:www.fiero.nl
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seajai you hit the nail on the head with the slotted bolts. It actually was a broken bolt. Going to try to get out the broken piece tomorrow.
Any ideas where to get replacement bolts. Are they available locally or does Rodney have them? The PO installed poly bushings so I am not
going to remove the nuts unless I have to but it seems removing the other bolt will allow me to slide the control arm out of the way.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

Seajai you hit the nail on the head with the slotted bolts. It actually was a broken bolt. Going to try to get out the broken piece tomorrow.
Any ideas where to get replacement bolts. Are they available locally or does Rodney have them? The PO installed poly bushings so I am not
going to remove the nuts unless I have to but it seems removing the other bolt will allow me to slide the control arm out of the way.

Both are available from Rodney Dickman: PaddleBolts and Paddle Nuts

Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up 2 new bolts locally this morning and installed them. Did an alignment and back in business.
Will be doing the other side bolts over the weekend.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

Picked up 2 new bolts locally this morning and installed them. Did an alignment and back in business.
Will be doing the other side bolts over the weekend.

Did you make sure they were grade 10.9?
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep 10.9 on the bolts. Thanks Seajai

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock