How a new Thermostat made my car better by Rich Truett
Started on: 04-06-2015 09:28 PM
Replies: 6 (297 views)
Last post by: NEVERDONE on 04-07-2015 09:57 AM
Rich Truett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the advice to replace the thermostat.
Now the temp gage stays between 175 and 190 and the engine is running smoother than ever.
I replaced the original thermostat because the temp gage never hardly budged off cold.

Another problem solved.
Now I have to tackle the ugliest job in all of Fiero-dom: The inboard exhaust leak.
There must be a way to get at these bolts without moving the a/c compressor and tilting the subframe back...
If anyone has advice, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Rich Truett
Detroit

P.S. I'd gladly pay someone around here to do repair for me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to see your car running like it should. BTW, was this car parked for a while before you bought it??

If it was my car, I would drop the engine completely because you may want to replace more things
and you'll be able to inspect to make sure everything is good. Hell of a lot easier to replace the manifold gasket.
If you break 1 exhaust manifold bolt in the cylinder head, I don't see anyone drill / tap the hole with the engine in the car.

I know this isn't the news you want to hear, but its the easiest way.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Rich Truett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car has just 55,000 miles on it, so yeah, it had been sitting for awhile.

I can't get my head around dropping the engine for an exhaust gasket. I'd pull the head off before I'd drop the engine.

There has to be a way to get wrenches on those bolts...

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rich Truett:

Now I have to tackle the ugliest job in all of Fiero-dom: The inboard exhaust leak.
There must be a way to get at these bolts without moving the a/c compressor and tilting the subframe back...

Just wait until you discover one or more of the manifold bolts broken off in the head. Been there, done that.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up pulling the heads because of broken manifold bolts.

Originally posted by Rich Truett:

Thanks everyone for the advice to replace the thermostat.
Now the temp gage stays between 175 and 190 and the engine is running smoother than ever.
I replaced the original thermostat because the temp gage never hardly budged off cold.

Another problem solved.
If anyone has advice, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Rich Truett
Detroit

P.S. I'd gladly pay someone around here to do repair for me.

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drop the exhaust and the ac compressor, or five bolts and drop the cradle. Its almost as easy as a beetle.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090376.html

Here is something to help with the manifolds.....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock