Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fiero chassis with VW Cabriolet Mk1 body (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero chassis with VW Cabriolet Mk1 body by carwhisperer
Started on: 04-06-2015 04:27 PM
Replies: 120 (5232 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 12-27-2017 12:09 AM
carwhisperer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided I can't live with the door gaps so I made some cuts on the inside down by the rear bottom corners of the doors. I put the come along across the top and pulled and checked, pulled, checked, etc. Then I was able to remove the shims and the doors now fit just like VW intended. I welded the cuts back up. I also needed to adjust the doors with the jack. Then I got right to work building roll bar reinforcements. I used 1 inch by 2 inch tubing. To make the bends by using some pie cuts. Then I curved them and rewelded. The first one came out amazingly well. Then when I tried to make the second one match things took a turn for the worst. I cut it apart and rewelded 3-4 times. I wound up with some pretty ugly welds so I tried to smooth things out with bondo. I think it will come out OK by the time it's all done. I do like the way the whole thing looks.

IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do some wild stuff. I wish you were closer to MN so when its done I could see it in person.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW...still loving it and can't wait to see the finished product....thanks for sharing.
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the roll bar braces welded in. While attaching them to the roll bar itself I welded tubes into the braces and inserted tubes through the factory bar. I left the bottom holes in the factory bar 3/8 inches, so the bar is trapped by the tubes. Not sure if that makes sense. I didn't want to weld to the factory bar because of the trim. I ordered some stainless button head bolts to replace the temporary ones that are there now. I triangulated the top with a strut brace from a Civic. I thought it was going to be too long when I ordered it (very difficult to find the dimensions when ordering) but it turned out to be exactly the right length.

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished welding all the way around the car, including the trunk. I painted inside the trunk and installed the trunk lid and the tail lights.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I could put mine together that fast!
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished the roll bar bracing with one more Civic strut brace. I had to cut this one down and rethread the hole in the end. I didn't have the right metric tap so I "made" one out of a bolt by cutting grooves in it with the angle grinder. It actually cut threads pretty well but I got it in crooked so I didn't thread it as deep as I would have liked. I ended up with perhaps 3/4" thread engagement. I JB welded the rod end in place. I think it's pretty strong. Also, I installed the button head fasteners on the rest of the roll cage bracing.

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2015 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear flares are done. I lightened the rear bumper structure, as I had done with the front. I'm kinda running out of stuff to do before the engine swap.

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2015 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carwhisperer

125 posts
Member since Mar 2015
I also got most of the front and rear lights wired up.
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interior is kinda done. I made a new cover for the center console, got both seats mounted, put in the carpet and reassembled the dash. The car is kinda done, except for the engine swap. I started doing the turbo install on the supercharged 3.8 Buick yesterday. I am gutting a blower to use for a turbo intake. I took out the rotors and made a block off plate out of the intermediate plate. I welded a couple of pipe fittings to the bearings and JB welded and pressed them back in. I plan to use one for a boost gage. So, here are some pictures. Is anybody reading this any more?

I hope to find a gray or black dash and carpet eventually.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Yes, I think we are still reading-just takes time to digest all the work. Good job.
PFF
System Bot
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What all did you have to do to make the block off plate like that? It's a great idea! Love the car too. Next project you need to do is put a rabbit body on a 2nd generation eclipse and "make" a Lancia Delta! I've wanted one of those forever and that was my idea for creating one myself but I have never gotten past the "this would be awesome" stage.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carwhisperer:
Is anybody reading this any more?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope to find a gray or black dash and carpet eventually.

Lookin good.
You can dye the dash black. I'd dye the gray thats in the door panel centers too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-11-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Lookin good.
You can dye the dash black. I'd dye the gray thats in the door panel centers too.

Nooooooo.

People will pay good money for good beechwood interior pieces. Don't ruin another set with dye.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could use a 3800 Camaro intake or a Holden intake if you wanted a factory aluminum 3800 series 2 intake. I've never been a fan of the blocked off blowers, they are ugly, and they probably hurt performance, at least I would assume they do. only downside is that the NA aluminum manifolds do have injector holes, so unless you're running 12 injectors, you'd have some holes to fill in.
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been busy getting this 1995 F355 on the road, but now back to the Rabbit.

I started the L67 for the first time the other day.
https://youtu.be/AwMb6SvHuUI
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I started the L67 for the first time the other day.

Brian, you've got some mechanical skillz... but you suck at shooting video.

Here, I'll save everyone's neck.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-12-2016).]

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha thanks. I was in a hurry and just threw it up there. Thanks for fixing it!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's next on the list?
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the overhead IC done and the exhaust, such as it is. Started it and yes it's still a little too loud.

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be really neat if you could tuck the turbo and intercooler underneath somewhere and then you could have a raised flatbed in the back .Maybe mount some Subaru brat seats up there . I love this build , keep the pics coming .Is that your Ferrari or a customer car ?
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

It would be really neat if you could tuck the turbo and intercooler underneath somewhere and then you could have a raised flatbed in the back .Maybe mount some Subaru brat seats up there . I love this build , keep the pics coming .

Haha thanks. I really wanted to have the turbo exposed. I like exposed mechanicals, kinda like motorcycles. But it takes a lot of attention to detail to pull it off. I may not quite be there!

Originally posted by wftb:

Is that your Ferrari or a customer car ?

With the work I do I doubt there are too many other Ferrari owners would let me touch their cars. Yes, it's mine. It's a 1995 F355. It was a bit of a project but I drive it now. It's actually my most normal car.

[This message has been edited by carwhisperer (edited 02-19-2016).]

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is running pretty good. It's kinda fun to drive it without the air cleaner on because you can see the turbo impeller spinning in the rear view mirror. Drove it as far as the gas station a couple days ago. Making a deck lid now.

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the engine cover in and put in a passenger seat. I had to use something narrower on the passenger side as the body is offset to the left on the Fiero chassis.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crazy, in a good way.

So you should get a youtube vid of driving it...
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Crazy, in a good way.

So you should get a youtube vid of driving it...

Thanks. Glad someone is still watching. I did make a video of driving it but it was poorly shot from inside the car so I erased it. I've only seen 2psi on the boost gauge so far. I think I have the line to the gauge restricted. I need to do some little things like bleed the brakes.

mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the simplest exhaust pipe ever.
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the car to the scales at the dump. 2920 pounds with a math teacher and 3/4 tank of fuel. So it looks like it came in right around 2700, which is right about what I predicted. I figured I'd be disappointed with anything over 2800 so I'm pretty happy.
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great weight! Should have a really nice power to weight ratio.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you can own it now...

http://sacramento.craigslis.../cto/5555855387.html
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

Looks like you can own it now...

http://sacramento.craigslis.../cto/5555855387.html

Yah, I threw it on CL. Seems like I do that after getting a project on the road. Next I want to build a Harley with a turbo and a fat rear tire. But I don't think I'll sell it. I am widening the front suspension on the driver's side now to compensate for the offset body without using a wheel spacer.

Pictures soon!

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2016 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I widened the front suspension on the driver's side to compensate for the offset body more betterly. I was running a wheel spacer there and it made a noticeable difference in the spring rate and scrub angle. I think the pictures kind of tell the tale. I've been driving the car a little, including to a car show and a VW meet. Have gotten a lot of positive comments and a lot of head scratching. The thing sounds so cool when you rev the engine. Way more like a V8 than I expected. And it's not really too loud. Next I plan to replace the mesh in the engine cover with sheet aluminum. You can really feel the heat radiating out of the engine compartment and into the passenger compartment. I also put some aluminum spacers under the driver's side to make a little more clearance on that side. But the car sat noticeably crooked so I took them back out. The driver's front tire still rubs some times but not nearly as bad as before the widening.

carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video of a little drive.
https://youtu.be/7qtIFHQcovI
carwhisperer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
285's on the back and new flares on the front. Only problem is I'm stupid. I had the car parked on uneven ground and when I when I drove it on level ground there was major interference on the driver's front. So I cut a notch in it so I could drive temporarily until I get a new blank (trailer fender) to make another one. And I ordered more blanks to make the rears wider. Also added that diamond plate under the IC. I was getting hot air blown on my head from the turbo. This seems to have stopped it.

[This message has been edited by carwhisperer (edited 05-31-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must admit these are the most unique off road customs that I have ever seen! Have you tried putting any of these vehicles through state inspection?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2017 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is anybody reading this any more?

Yup

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay