88 Front end clunking by tom10122
Started on: 04-05-2015 08:31 PM
Replies: 19 (504 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-14-2015 02:40 PM
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 clunks on bumps and when braking since I got it. The ball joints were greased religiously , not sure if it was preventative maintenance or masking the problem but I will be checking those soon. I also remember reading that there was a common issue where some bolts that loosen over time but cant find that page again, thinking upper control arm?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See if the energy absorber is firmly attached. If not it makes an awesome clunk as it bumps against the metal plate it attaches to. They say to fix it, if that's the problem, you need to remove the front bumper. I have a plan that involves at least two universal joints that seems worth a try.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

See if the energy absorber is firmly attached. If not it makes an awesome clunk as it bumps against the metal plate it attaches to. They say to fix it, if that's the problem, you need to remove the front bumper. I have a plan that involves at least two universal joints that seems worth a try.

On an 88, it's not there.....
eodtech72

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eodtech72Send a Private Message to eodtech72Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine had almost the same clunk. Check the upper control arm bolts that mount it to the frame. This is also the alignment adjustment bolts. Mine were loose which caused the clunk and misalignment. May need to replace the bolts and the captive nuts that are mounted together on a plate underneath. Once you get in there and look at it you'll see what I mean.
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the right side rack bushing. Very common to get worn
and cause the clunk. My 88 duke had the same noise. Replaced the bushing from Rodney and the clunk is gone.

Steve
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our 88 had a similar problem (clunking noises over bumps and when braking) - front wheel bearings.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Our 88 had a similar problem (clunking noises over bumps and when braking) - front wheel bearings.

I Second on the bearings
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine drove me nuts for a while, ended up being the rack bushing
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bad rack bushing before, but it didn't clunk every time I hit the brakes. It clunked over every bump

I also have the same problem- Every time I touch the brakes, there is a clunk. I don't think it is the rack bushing, as it is from the driver's side. I checked the caliper- it is tight...
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check upper control arm alignment bolts. I've seen them slightly loose with the same problem.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it, It looks like I'll finally have some time to take a look at it today between classes, will check back with the results. If he upper control arm alignment bolts are loose I need to get it re aligned correct?
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cracked ball joint, whole wheel went up into the wheel well and car dropped to the ground. I came to a scretching stop at 50 mph, Thank God I wasnt on the freeway...Check the ball joints for any cracks.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the other suggestions here, check your sway bar end links.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the late update I didn't have nearly as much time as I had wanted. I can't really tell if my ball joints are good or bad I just greased them and my tie rod ends,they are original so they must be overdue for replacement. My dad is pretty reluctant to start that job with me since he's only ever had problems with the fork tool, does Rodney's make a big difference?

The uca bolts seemed pretty tight, I couldn't budge them with a plain ratchet. My torque wrench is blocked off by a fridge and other junk in the garage so it's gonna be awhile til i can get that out. I took it for a drive after i greased them and didn't notice a difference. Though there are so many other noises going on aswell (need to replace door striker bolts and will be doing that tomorrow).
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Striker bolts helped alot, not as loud but it still clunks/rattles when braking, any ideas?

[This message has been edited by tom10122 (edited 04-14-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about door rattles or front end rattles?
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door rattle is fixed now, I'm talking about the front end
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be interested in what you find. Total front end rebuild in an 88, tore apart steering rack and installed new bushing and play fully adjusted out. Still have a slight thump and steering wheel yanks to the side slightly when I hit a slight imperfection in the road.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

Door rattle is fixed now, I'm talking about the front end

If it sounds anything like a tambourine it will be the sway bar links. The washers make a racket, except when you jack up the car, and then they are tight.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-14-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

My dad is pretty reluctant to start that job with me since he's only ever had problems with the fork tool, does Rodney's make a big difference?

Rodney's ball joint tool (or a reasonable facsimile) makes a HUGE difference. Don't even bother attempting to replace ball joints on a Fiero without one.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-14-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock