Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Advice on camshaft for turbo 3800 build (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Advice on camshaft for turbo 3800 build by crashmydaytona
Started on: 04-05-2015 08:29 PM
Replies: 47 (1913 views)
Last post by: nocuttt on 05-22-2015 03:36 AM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

That's one pricy turbo!

Not really for a Quality (OEM manufactured) Turbo with added BOV and internal waste gate.
Plus the space and cost savings from NOT having custom intake to house the BOV and custom exhaust to house the External Waste gate.
You will probably come out cheaper and have a cleaner install, not to mention a OEM quality Turbo.

Comparable Prices:
PT6266 turbo $1100
Turbosmart EWG $400
TurboSmart BOV $300
Trubosmart Boost controller $85
Crossover Pipe welded to accept EWG $40
Aluminum Intake welding to accept BOV $100

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 04-15-2015).]

IP: Logged
koolgtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what size injectors are you guy's using? Making that level of power requires a lot of fuel.
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Not really for a Quality (OEM manufactured) Turbo with added BOV and internal waste gate.
Plus the space and cost savings from NOT having custom intake to house the BOV and custom exhaust to house the External Waste gate.
You will probably come out cheaper and have a cleaner install, not to mention a OEM quality Turbo.

Comparable Prices:
PT6266 turbo $1100
Turbosmart EWG $400
TurboSmart BOV $300
Trubosmart Boost controller $85
Crossover Pipe welded to accept EWG $40
Aluminum Intake welding to accept BOV $100

Good points. I did not see that it also has a built in boost controler. Nice all in one turbo. What cars or trucks are they manufactured for?
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crashmydaytona

567 posts
Member since Apr 2013

Originally posted by koolgtz:

what size injectors are you guy's using? Making that level of power requires a lot of fuel.

60#-80# injectors
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

Good points. I did not see that it also has a built in boost controler. Nice all in one turbo. What cars or trucks are they manufactured for?

The EFR turbo does NOT have a boost controller but I needed to buy one with the PT6266 cause it came with a 7psi spring.
Borg makes Turbos for Volvo and Volkswagen.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id1000 injectors on mine, equivalent of 108lb/hr at l67 fuel pressure. A bit overkill, but they idle better than my 42.5lb injectors I ran on the m90.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got Deka #80lb injectors

I also used a Holset HX40 Turbo which is internally gated and I added a Turbosmart IWG-75 which is adjustable via internal interchangeable springs.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

nocuttt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nocutttSend a Private Message to nocutttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wayyyy late in the discussion; the thing I always see when ppl are discussing turbo cams is it seems it is approached from either "like getting an NA cam" or looking at the next persons build and taking that plunge without knowing how said person actually arrived at their own cam selection. I strongly (opinion here) believe that what has happened with turbo cam selection is the broken clock system...the clock is about right twice in a day. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have seen much aftermarket "off the grid turbo cams" besides those sold by the two main vendors for the 3800 v6.

In any event, I think (LFiero67 and Darth) suggested a smaller cam is usually better...but I will also add, most turbo cam selection ~90% are not really geared for many enthusiast...especially when discussion of exhaust back pressure is never on the table. With all the different types of setups (turbochargers in particular) and yet ppl have similar turbo cam shafts it leaves more to be desired...

A turbo camshaft while still induces all valve events...is very unlike an NA or even SC camshaft...its application should be critical

[This message has been edited by nocuttt (edited 05-22-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock