Headlight Motor Stuck by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 04-03-2015 07:23 AM
Replies: 5 (627 views)
Last post by: ninjayogi on 08-22-2015 06:24 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The head light motors work fine. However every so often the driver headlight gets stuck / jammed in the down position. When this happens I need to take a pair of pillars twist the metal knob on the motor half turn and the motor then works like a champ. The plastic cap is there but is useless. The motor is so tight the cap just gets stripped when trying to use it. Can this be fixed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I've had this happen in occasion thru the years.. Lots of moving parts in the headlight assem.. Crank the motor up and check all the friction points,starting with the arm that comes off the motor itself,and then the pivot points of the assembly itself.

Another thing to check for is to make sure the plastic parts that suround the headlight at the bottom of assem aren't getting jammed into the wiring harness down inside the headlight bucket.. Check for any contact there..

And last but not least,the nylon gears might be on their way out and are cross threading once in a while and jamming up a bit..soon it'll be toast is this is the case..
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 04-03-2015).]

Yannsky

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Had you open it to clean the old stiff grease and replace it? It was my problem with mine on my 87 the grease was hard as a rock. And at the same time change the gear inside for minimum $
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
which type? Gen1 or gen2?

Gen 2 is cause when crap in the motor and/or adjusted wrong cause motor binding.
If motor has Delrin dowels from any source... can wreck the gear over time. see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128600.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-03-2015).]

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed!! I had to adjust the nut / allen screw in the bottom of the motor. I guess over time the motor adjusted its' self
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the headlight gears and little white self-destruct things and now my passenger side is having this exact problem. Its almost like it is winding itself too tight. I will try this and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for this thread.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock