84 manual trans removal by Tracker
Started on: 04-02-2015 03:11 PM
Replies: 10 (211 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-03-2015 01:04 PM
Tracker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackerSend a Private Message to TrackerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to remove the 4 spd manual from my 84 SE. I have removed both half shafts, shift cable linkage, etc. What else do I need to disconnect. Will take off speed sensor plug. I don't know what to do about the starter. Can I leave it in place. What else needs disconnecting. What is the best way to slide the transaxle out
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the slave, but leave it connected to the line. You can leave the starter, remove the trans mounts, and support the engine. Are you trying to do this with the cradle in place? If so i doubt you will have the room to work it out.
Tracker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackerSend a Private Message to TrackerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did remove bolts of the slave cal. I realized that I do not need to remove the starter. I am not sure what the "cradle" is. When I look at the bottom, I can see the transmission mounts, and can see one from the top. I just looked under again. Is the cradle the " U shaped" piece that attaches to the "front motor mount". I can unbolt the two bolts that attaches it to the frame, and jack it up some. I do that, what do I do next.

BD
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tracker:

I am not sure what the "cradle" is.

You need to do some research here. Plenty of info what the cradle looks like.

I've swapped out the tranny in my '84 by removing the back two cradle bolts, loosening the front two, and swinging the cradle down enough to pull the tranny out the wheel well. You might have to remove various components on the intake side of the engine in order to clear the trunk.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cradle is the entire lower sub frame the engine and trans and rear suspension are mounted to. Usually to do any major work on a Fiero its easiest to disconnect everything and drop the entire cradle//drivetrain out for easy access. I have heard of people only unbolting the rear of the cradle and top of the struts and "swinging it down for better access, but I have never tried it.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike Gonzalez

5093 posts
Member since Jul 2001
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As other stated your cradle is what your engine and transmission are mounted to.

Here it is bare with nothing on it

An with the engine and trans on it

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 04-02-2015).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tracker, Are you making progress ?
Tracker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackerSend a Private Message to TrackerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I slept on the problem. The pictures of the Cradle helped a lot.

It appears that if the drivers side of the cradle could be dropped a couple of inches, there would be room to slide the transition our the drivers side.

Would like to know if any body has done that. I think I could do that with out pulling the engine.

I am trying to replace the origional tranny. It bas the 4.10 drive ration. I have a tranny out of a 84 Chevy Citation that has 3.32 drive ration that I want to replace it with.

I bought the car new soon after they became available. I special ordered it with what I wanted.

I live 10 miles East of ABQ NM, just off of I 40 interstate. When I got the car in 84, the traffic traveled at 65-70 mph. Now at 75-80 mph, it is close to 4,000rpm just to pass someone.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The FieroFactory link above explains how to do it just tilting the cradle.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tracker:

It appears that if the drivers side of the cradle could be dropped a couple of inches, there would be room to slide the transition our the drivers side.

Lowering the cradle a "couple of inches" is not enough.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock