Started on: 03-30-2015 11:59 PM
Replies: 12 (279 views)
Last post by: Mike Gonzalez on 04-09-2015 09:36 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey fellow Fiero addicts, getting back into working on Fieros. I am getting some nixon window and am looking for and tips or tricks to make it go easier without having to re-invent the chop. I have found some of the old threads, but not a lot of useful info on the actual process. PLEASE DON'T turn this into a whos chops are better thread. Let that old dog lie....lol. Any Chop glass is near impossible to find and I would have taken whichever I found. I just happened to find Nixons available.

Excited to be back messing with Fieros ! Cant wait to roll again!!

TIA for any help you can offer
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike and stu started installing the windows to chop the car to the windows. With the seals out take nore of how the original windows line up, then after you've cut it and you have your chopped windows installed you manipulate the window track alighnment and metal to make them line up like the original. You should be super carefull when welding, stu had the windows in the doors when welding and sparks made their way in, pitting the glass.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good tip, cover glass when welding ! lol

What is the technique for cutting the rear glass? Will i only need to take some off the top of the glass, or will the sides need cut to the new angle?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's tempered so it can't be cut, the new piece of glass will be shorter and the angle will change on the sides.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found that it was tempered, lol...i assumed it was laminated. At least its flat so it wont be hard to have made. Should i get tempered or is laminated good?

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 03-31-2015).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go tempered just for strength, in a roll over the rear window will most likely be too small to escape so it's not really necessary if you're worried about that but you need a window that won't go into shards and cause deep lacerations.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes sense ! Do you know anything about having to adjudt the window regulator? Guy im getting the glass from said he remembered something about doing that.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, the curvature of the windows is less than the stock windows, the tracks have to be played with to get the tops of the windows where they need to be.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, okay.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fingers crossed I get only two pieces of glass tomorrow ! Then the fun begins !
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glass got here undamaged !! Yayyy ! Car is tore down and the process has begun. Today after 2.5 hours of fighting with getting the rear glass out without use of a hammer or brick, I had an idea...went out to my van, grabbed my HF multitool and put in a 1.5" metal blade and cut the window free from the inside, took 10 minutes !!

http://www.harborfreight.co...ower-tool-61219.html <----Rear window remover tool !
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since you have the popcorn out, heres the test fit of one of the windows, its rolled all the way up :-)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock