serpentine belt alignment. belt tensioner on iron duke by Michiganman
Started on: 03-30-2015 04:05 PM
Replies: 10 (681 views)
Last post by: Michiganman on 04-04-2015 09:45 PM
Michiganman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1987 fiero iron Duke.

While looking for the cause of a occasional scraping metal to metal noise I found that the serpentine belt is out of alignment. It is running at the outer edge of the belt tensioner pulley & not centered on pulley. Looking down at the outer belt edge it is 3/16" out of alignment with the rest of the belt at the tensioner pulley.

I replaced the worn serpentine belt. Gates K060660.

With the belt off, the tensioner pulley ran smooth & I couldn't feel any slack/wobble in the tensioner pivot shaft assembly. It turns as intended. Can't find any problem with the assembly.

Air conditioner, water pump, and alternator all seem to be working properly.

I researched the archives and read the ogres article on this.
Everything points to the tensioner assembly even though there doesn't appear to be any slack or looseness or wear or wobble in it to cause the alignment problem.

Do I need to replace the tensioner assembly? Or could something else cause the alignment problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
belt alignment for tensioner is most likely worn tensioner arm pivot cause pulley to move under belt load.
Even a small error can make the belt to move in/out on any smooth pulley.

Flat belt have odd rules and small issues can be a big headache.
If you have vacuum cleaner that take flat rubber belt... look at beater bar etc "pulley" area... The budge shape is the why the belts stays in place.
Car tensioners don't have the same "profile" and very easy to pitch a belt when to arm and/or pulley bearing are worn/bad.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...anical%29#Flat_belts
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsima...cenario/crowning.htm

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-31-2015).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My tensioner did the same thing. The pivot was shot. Ended up replacing the entire assembly.
You could easily look at it and tell the the pulley was out of whack but, strangely enough, it never threw the belt.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-31-2015).]

Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the answers.

What is a good source for a new belt tensioner assembly?
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably the pivot as already discussed.

But, my A/C compressor was loose and the bolts required tightening.

Just take a minute and check to make sure they are tight.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michiganman:
What is a good source for a new belt tensioner assembly?

I'm tempted to say that they've made of unobtainium, but that may not be correct.
I know that GM no longer sells them (or at least didn't), but they may be available in the aftermarket.

Edit - Found nothing but pulleys on eBay and Rockauto. You may have to find a used one. Try asking in the mall section of this forum.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-31-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike-ohio:
Probably the pivot as already discussed.
But, my A/C compressor was loose and the bolts required tightening.
Just take a minute and check to make sure they are tight.

A/C can get loose but won't cause this problem w/ tensioner pulley.

V5 compressor can be missing brackets and bolts make problems worse.
Missing brace/bolts on back AC unit is common for people replacing starter or fix exhaust. Examples: Morons think they know better then GM and leave parts off. People strip AC bolt holes or don't torque bolts and parts fall off later.
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre - correct as usual.

Yes the previous owner did not install the mounting bolt on the back of the alternator causing my issue. I replaced the bolt and had no more issues..

Just thought he should check.
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the belt tensioner assembly off. It is damaged and worn as theogre predicted.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get a new one from the fierostore. Expensive but no one else has them and they are a nos part. Had one that was broken, discovered it when rebuilding the duke.
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help especially theogre for his cave. I found and installed a used tensioner assembly. it corrected the problem. Back on track for a good summer in my t-top fiero here in Michigan.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock