Popping front end by tntcary
Started on: 03-27-2015 11:21 AM
Replies: 6 (236 views)
Last post by: IanT720 on 03-30-2015 11:45 AM
tntcary

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcaryClick Here to Email tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok yall. I have an 87GT. It has new sway bar end links, shocks, hubs/rotors, bearings and pads. There is a popping sound from the front end somewhere. All bolts are good everywhere all bushing good. Tie rods good and everything is loaded up with grease. I see nothing. Had it up on my lift so many times for this sound it should stay there.
Sway bar end links are poly bushings. Can those be the issue? BUT the noise was there before I replaced those BUT not as much.
At 1st it was popping on turns, now it pops all the time when weight is shifted.

Like when I stop at a light sometimes it pops. But almost always pops when I pull away from the light. It pops going over uneven areas of freeway moving straight. It pops when I turn onto an interstate change ramp. It pops parking.

WHY is it POPPING? None of my techs or myself can figure it out. I keep going back to sway bar bushings were bad before and that's why it popped. And now it's popping more because it's poly. Techs are like NAW , it's just popping more now because it's gotten worse.
I also don't have any wallered out bolt holes or bad bushings or loose bolts. I can feel the pop and not just hear it.

Help please yall.

------------------
Put the blow torch down please, its just a Fiero.

"Strange, I tore those metal fibers like paper.. and what he did, was amazing. Sooomething is happening........"
Ursa

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked at the steering rack bushing?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=209

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-27-2015).]

tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcaryClick Here to Email tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Have you looked at the steering rack bushing?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=209

No I have not. I will check it out. I almost gave up and just ordered an entire rack with tie rods. This bushing does sound very viable.

------------------

"Strange, I tore those metal fibers like paper.. and what he did, was amazing. Sooomething is happening........"
Ursa

bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rack bushing fixed it for me.
I had the exact same symptoms. I grabbed the passenger inner tie rod and it had a little bit of play in it. I had to shake it pretty good, but i could hear a weaker version of what I heard while driving.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 192
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageClick Here to Email randyeSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tntcary:

....At 1st it was popping on turns, now it pops all the time when weight is shifted.

Like when I stop at a light sometimes it pops. But almost always pops when I pull away from the light. It pops going over uneven areas of freeway moving straight. It pops when I turn onto an interstate change ramp. It pops parking.

Classic symptoms.
Check the ball joints also.

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-28-2015).]

tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcaryClick Here to Email tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ball joints are good. It's the rack and Rodney's brass bushing is on the way. Thank Yall so much for the help.

------------------

Ursa

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Click Here to Email IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tntcary:

Ball joints are good. It's the rack and Rodney's brass bushing is on the way. Thank Yall so much for the help.

Just something else to check, check the lower control arm mounts, mine separated from the frame, and would pop. Before totally shearing and clunking :/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock