Fender - Fix or Replace? by CavScout
Started on: 03-26-2015 06:07 PM
Replies: 7 (210 views)
Last post by: CavScout on 03-26-2015 07:01 PM
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hope I did PIP correctly LOL

Anyways, they say replacing body panels are fairly easy (if you know what you're doing) but if I'm going to have a body shop fix my paint a bit (typical clear coat issues....) should I have the above damaged repaired, or simply buy a used undamaged fender? I know it kind of appears dented above the tire, but it's just a trick of lighting and reflection. Just have the crack and missing piece near the door. Like the door grabbed it? (It does at times...)

Opinions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are plenty of fenders available for cheap. You may even find a red one. Fixing that would probably be more money.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert, but I would say replace. Fenders are pretty easy to come by usually and not all the expensive. That looks like a pretty decent sized crack, and unless it is fixed 100% properly, you will see it again.
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

There are plenty of fenders available for cheap. You may even find a red one. Fixing that would probably be more money.

That's what I was wondering - no idea the going rate of body work these days LOL thanks.

Anyone fairly close with a medium red one, feel free to PM me with location and cost. (Don't suppose shipping keeps them in the realm of "cheap".)

It's an '87 Sport. Thanks for the info Gall - anyone with a different experience, feel free to chime in.
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

I'm no expert, but I would say replace. Fenders are pretty easy to come by usually and not all the expensive. That looks like a pretty decent sized crack, and unless it is fixed 100% properly, you will see it again.

That'd be fun... hitting a pothole and hearing bondo popping out LOL
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Question, REPLACE
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not repairable.
The crack isn't the only problem. There is a sizeable chunk missing where the side molding mounts.
As others have said, front fenders are readily available and relatively cheap.
Fix it properly.

------------------

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:
There is a sizeable chunk missing where the side molding mounts.

Amazingly, I found the piece of molding behind the seat when I purchased the car LOL

Will find a replacement then. Thanks for the input all

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock