Started on: 03-25-2015 05:57 PM
Replies: 18 (386 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 03-30-2015 12:10 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: Feel free to call my cell phone with any tips / pointers 56I two36 7o24 If I am going to make Daytona, I need to leave here right after work tomorrow afternoon. I put a lot of work into this show, and certainly would like to make it there!

I am TRYING to get my car (2.8 GT) to Daytona, and it is fighting me every step of the way. Just changed out the Airtec fuel pump for an AC Delco over the weekend with Captain Deans help.

I have been driving it daily since then with no issues. A half hour ago it just died on me a block from my house tonight.

I could not hear the fuel pump kick on. I plugged in my ALDL cable I bought here on the forum. It has a LED on the side that lights up when the fuel pump is on. The light is not coming on at key on, or while cranking. I do have the Service Engine Soon light on on the dash when I turn the key on. I swapped the fuel/AC relays behind the air canister so I don't think it is a relay. Also, I have a fuel pressure gauge and its showing no pressure at all.

Is there a way to directly send power to the fuel pump, bypassing the relay & ECM control to see if it is the pump itself?

Any help ASAP is greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes jump the orange wire to the tan wire on the relay plug it should run but to shut it off you will have to pull the fuse or the jumper
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can jumper the ALDL. pins G and A

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check your fuse
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

You can jumper the ALDL. pins G and A

G and A?
A is ground.
Shouldn't it be G and 12 V? The cigarette lighter wire comes to mind.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-26-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

G and A?
A is ground.
Shouldn't it be G and 12 V? The cigarette lighter wire comes to mind.

yes it is, you add +12v to G ( G is the pin closest to the driver)

edit to add: also check the pump plug on the firewall and make sure it did not come loose.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-26-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

yes it is, you add +12v to G ( G is the pin closest to the driver)

Yes....power to G....sorry. I wonder what happened.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys, was scrambling to get to Daytona. It wound up being the ECM had a blown Fuel Pump circuit that triggers the fuel pump relay. LUCKILY I had my original one, before swapping it for a different one while in the process of trouble shooting.

The car made it to Daytona, but would not start to go to the track the next day. It started at the end of the day, and ran great doing laps at 85 MPH+ around the New Smyrna NASCAR track. It would not start the next morning to go to the Daytona track again.... In the afternoon it started and again ran great. Later it developed a slight miss, that by the time I got home 4 hours later, I think I was running on 3-4 cylinders. I just can not believe this car......
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have missed this in the many posts on your cars gremlins so forgive me if this was already mentioned: Have you done a diagnostic readout of the car using an aldl cable? That might point you to the latest trouble area.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that thing is giving you a hard time and it is all stock engine it must be telling you Engine Swap . Get Captain Dean over there and get it all repaired . Did you go to south America and go to a Voodoo Ritual where they had a doll of your Fiero sticking pins in the engine
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all the electrical related problems the car has had its almost as if it was a flood car.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I notice that you had your start problems at Daytona in the mornings after the car had sat out in the moist air all night and then after the car had sat during the day it would start. That seems as if it could be moisture condensing inside an electrical connector. I do remember you posting that you had cleaned out all the goop inside the C500 connector, that goop was there to keep the moisture from getting to the electrical contacts and the C500 connector is close to the engine vent where moisture in the air can get in. My 85 2M4 sits parked outside all the time and when I open the decklid in the morning there is always water on the top of the air cleaner and the rest of the engine and engine components.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

With all the electrical related problems the car has had its almost as if it was a flood car.

It sat outside at the MAACO shop for a long time.....
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where it was SOAKED.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Where it was SOAKED.

Maaco strikes again! Bummer.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I notice that you had your start problems at Daytona in the mornings after the car had sat out in the moist air all night and then after the car had sat during the day it would start. That seems as if it could be moisture condensing inside an electrical connector. I do remember you posting that you had cleaned out all the goop inside the C500 connector, that goop was there to keep the moisture from getting to the electrical contacts and the C500 connector is close to the engine vent where moisture in the air can get in. My 85 2M4 sits parked outside all the time and when I open the decklid in the morning there is always water on the top of the air cleaner and the rest of the engine and engine components.

The C-500 has no goop? Florida Car? Sounds like trouble to me.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread was started out of desperation, and I thank everyone for their input. If possible, I would like to move all the discussion over to my main "problem thread" to keep the information all in one place. I am replying to the above comments in that thread:

HERE IS THE MAIN THREAD, PLEASE POST REPLY'S THERE

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009
REMOVED

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave