How to Remove the Dash by 87GT2M6
Started on: 03-25-2015 07:58 AM
Replies: 13 (1081 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 07-06-2019 10:14 PM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while looking for info on how to remove the dash I found this and thought it might help others that want to do the same.

Click here to see how to Remove the Dash
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pop up the speaker covers with a flat screwdriver. Be extra careful not to damage your brittle dashboard!

It's amazing how brittle the dash is! I was gentle and it still cracked. When you pry the speaker, make sure you have something large and solid to pry against.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

It's amazing how brittle the dash is! I was gentle and it still cracked. When you pry the speaker, make sure you have something large and solid to pry against.

NEVER pry the speaker covers off.
Even trying to distribute the load across a wider area on an old brittle vinyl dash can still crack it

Use a small wire or thin metal "hook" tool and PULL the speaker covers off.
Gently work your way around the perimeter of the speaker cover, applying gradual effort at the 4 corners to pull the studs out of the rubber grommets .

------------------

Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OR rather than even take the chance of cracking the dash or damaging your speaker covers, try reaching up from underneath the dashboard and pushing the speaker cover out from below. I prefer this method as all I have to do is give the prongs on each of the 4 pegs a light squeeze and push to pop the speaker cover up enough to easily lift it out of the way. This is definitely easier on the passenger side, but you should be able to reach around the steering column on the drivers side providing you don't have huge forearms.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

NEVER pry the speaker covers off.
Even trying to distribute the load across a wider area on an old brittle vinyl dash can still crack it

Use a small wire or thin metal "hook" tool and PULL the speaker covers off.
Gently work your way around the perimeter of the speaker cover, applying gradual effort at the 4 corners to pull the studs out of the rubber grommets .

That's a much better idea! I never thought of that

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

That's a much better idea! I never thought of that

I learned the "hard way".
When I got lucky enough to find a dash in *perfect* condition I didn't take any chances with it after that.
Ok, I did take a few chances... but not with the vinyl

Speaker cover cloth looks oddly "purple" in this photo, but it is actually black.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-27-2015).]

janeintoronto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2019 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for janeintorontoSend a Private Message to janeintorontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long did it take you guys to get the dash off? My mechanic, who doesn't really even want to try it, is saying something like 4 hours. Yes? No?
(This was about fixing dampers/vents that control air direction, heat/no heat, over heater coil, and also, unrelated, possibly replacing at least one speaker.)
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2019 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by janeintoronto:

How long did it take you guys to get the dash off? My mechanic, who doesn't really even want to try it, is saying something like 4 hours. Yes? No?
(This was about fixing dampers/vents that control air direction, heat/no heat, over heater coil, and also, unrelated, possibly replacing at least one speaker.)

You do not have to remove the dash to get to the heater box control doors.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

janeintoronto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2019 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for janeintorontoSend a Private Message to janeintorontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you be more specific about how to get access?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2019 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this was an old thread. Dash removal the first time can take a little while. There are a lot of parts that need to be removed for it to come out.

Butime Dennis mentioned dash does not need to be removed for heater core.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 06-24-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
janeintoronto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for janeintorontoSend a Private Message to janeintorontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes he did ("ou do not have to remove the dash to get to the heater box control doors") but I am STILL looking for an answer. Exactly HOW does one get access to the control doors? My meechanic, who wasn't born when they made my '85 SE Fiero, says the dash has to come off, and that that alone would be 4 hours work.
It may be an old thread, but I try to find a relevant one before starting a new one. Makes less of a messy forum. And yes, I do send beer money to the forum.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you remind us of which function is not operating in your heater box, please?

It sounds like your mechanic Really does not want to do this job; that happens with our Fiero's. Sadly, my 1987 and 1988 Fiero GM service manuals do not seem to cover our version of the heater box (with electric motors) or I would send it to you to show your mechanic. Looking at my car, one motor seems accessible without removing the dash, there may be another behind the radio that is not and possibly one on top. The control box above your radio may actually be the source of the failure as I've read of members here changing that. I do not remember any mention of a electric motor problem in the heater box itself.
Wish one of the knowledgeable members here would chime in since my car has never had this problem before.

Here is what your car looks like without the dash :

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jane, it takes 30 minutes to remove the dash once you have done it a few times. The first post in this thread is a step-by-step which you can show your mechanic.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-059323.html

Speakers are replaced by carefully prying up on the speaker grilles on the dash. They simply pop out. Then the speaker can be replaced/upgraded.

As Rexgirl posted above, that big black box is the heater/ac box. Once the dash is off, it will be in plain sight.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-06-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock