Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Time to change my clutch... and maybe the short block..

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Time to change my clutch... and maybe the short block.. by mongo
Started on: 03-24-2015 01:27 PM
Replies: 9 (338 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 03-31-2015 02:46 PM
mongo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mongoSend a Private Message to mongoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my 1988 clutch is reaching the end of its life. My 2.8 has just under 80K original miles. I planned on just swapping the clutch and taking care of a couple of oil leaks but then..... I run across some NOS factory 3.1 Short Blocks still in the crates for $300 each.

I am not really inclined to do a bunch of mods, computer hacks and so nor do I have that kind of time on my hands on or I would do a 3800 swap. This is my daily driver and is still fairly minty as far as Fieros go. Reliability is more important than performance and I don't want to spend more than two weekends with my car torn apart. Adding a new short block would just add a valve job, head gaskets, and drilling/tapping for the starter to my original plan/timetable...

Should I stick with my original plan of swapping the clutch and some gaskets and seals or add a new short block to the mix? What are my pitfalls?

Opinions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your oil leak fixes are simple, I would stick with the 2.8. It should be good for 175K miles.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make sure you do your rear main seal that is usually what fails causing most 2.8 v6;s to detonate.
mongo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mongoSend a Private Message to mongoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. The really hard to get to seals/gaskets are definetly my goal here. I am not 100% sure if my clutch problems are due to wear or oil contamination. Either way, the clutch needs to come out and I ALWAYS replace the rear main seal if I am already right there.....
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The back of the block has a block-off plate at the end of the camshaft.

I seen more than one engine leak oil into the bellhousing there.
Something to remove and seal while the engine is out as well.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-25-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it's already Out. ALL seals, Exhaust manifold gaskets, Water pump, loosen/ retighten Alt bracket Bolts, Cradle bushings, in general, do everything that's a PIA when it's in the car.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would find it hard to pass up the $300 short block --- 0 miles is quite attractive. Since you don't want the extended down time of a major swap, why not spend a bit more and go to the 3.1? You can't get the more desirable 3.4 short block for $300 (at least I haven't found anything close to that). You won't have to clean up and lug your 2.8 short block to the shop to get it rebuild (much more than $300 I imagine). Experts -- isn't it true that the 3.1 would better support easy mods like ported-exhaust and 1.6 rocker arms?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I was in the situation that the OP is in, I'd be more inclined to just swap out the clutch. 80,000 isn't all that many miles, especially on an '88 2.8 that has improved oiling compared to the previous years. If the price on the 3.1 short block is such a bargain, buy it and stash it away for future use/re-sale.

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

make sure you do your rear main seal that is usually what fails causing most 2.8 v6;s to detonate.

Is this as much of an issue with the '88 2.8 engines?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont know but every person i have talked to over the 20 years i have been into fieros if they changed that seal at least 1 time before 100k the engines lasted past the 150 or so milage blow up that most people seem to have.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also change the timing chain if that wasn't already mentioned.

You also need to check which 3.1 pistons are on this block. If the pistons have about a ~21cc dish then you have the aluminum head pistons. Your compression ratio would drop way too low.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock