Melted again by busa_powered
Started on: 03-21-2015 08:16 PM
Replies: 7 (389 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-23-2015 02:11 PM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I replaced my third brake light lens because it was melted at the bottom when I bought the car
And it had melted it again!

Do I need to change the bulbs to something else, they don't appear to be non oem bulbs

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is definitely something not right there. What bulb is in there right now?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is supposed to be a #889 bulb....whatever that is.
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
use leds
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely have wrong bulb... Bulb # should be printed on the socket.
Only use 27 watt 889 lamp. Several other lamps will physically fit this location but could set the car on fire due to greatly increased heat. (50 watts or more for some types.)

They use same lamp format but have 50+ watts for fog/driving lights.

Or switch is bad etc keeping lamp on.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-22-2015).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interior part of my 3rd brake light was melted as well. When I was getting a replacement from the junk yard, same thing, melted. Seems to be a common problem. I put 3 of those small panels of LED's in there, and will never have that problem again You can either do what I did, or just purchase an LED bulb with the correct socket to fit in there. I preferred the look of the panel, as it fills the brake light evenly, and not just a glowing bulb in the center.

You can read all the details in this post in my build thread.

I used 3 of LED panels, end to end, and wired them all together. These are the panels I used.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-23-2015).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

The interior part of my 3rd brake light was melted as well. When I was getting a replacement from the junk yard, same thing, melted. Seems to be a common problem. I put 3 of those small panels of LED's in there, and will never have that problem again You can either do what I did, or just purchase an LED bulb with the correct socket to fit in there. I preferred the look of the panel, as it fills the brake light evenly, and not just a glowing bulb in the center.

You can read all the details in this post in my build thread.

How does it look in daylight?

I have the one from TLG and although its nice and bright, unfortunately its pink. I'll probably switch back to a regular bulb.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
How does it look in daylight?
I have the one from TLG and although its nice and bright, unfortunately its pink. I'll probably switch back to a regular bulb.

Is White LED? Yes then they often look pink/purple and ugly because of "color temperature" and other reasons. Anything above ~4200°K looks eh or bad from any vendor. high °K the more blue output for "white" LED.

Other reasons because White LED often in Not same White light from OE bulb.
See my Cave, LED poisoning

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-23-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock