Getrag no 3rd or 4th by Meistromichael
Started on: 03-21-2015 10:47 AM
Replies: 5 (184 views)
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 03-21-2015 08:05 PM
Meistromichael

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeistromichaelSend a Private Message to MeistromichaelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, I have tried searching and can not find a solution.

Second, it's a 88 getrag with 113,xxx miles.

I rebuilt my shifter assembly with a RD kit. I cleaned the area very well before reinstallation so no coins or misc trash could be around the shifter assembly. At the same time, I installed a RD shifter cable. Drove about 250 miles before the issue arose. Also, 5th synchro has been going out well before this current problem.

Now, my problem is that while driving, 3rd and 4th gates "disappeared". 1,2,5,R all still work fine but cannot get 3rd or 4th into gate.

I have inspected my rebuilt shifter and saw no problems. I also checked the routing of my new shifter cable, seems good with no damage.

Could this be an internal issue? Is there something else I haven't thought of that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Andrew
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it the same engine on or off? If still no go with the engine off, disconnect the cables at the transmission and run through the gears in the trans by hand, pulling and pushing the lever.
Meistromichael

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeistromichaelSend a Private Message to MeistromichaelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same with or without engine running. I'll disconnect and try at the transmission in a bit
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Meistromichael:

First, I have tried searching and can not find a solution.

Second, it's a 88 getrag with 113,xxx miles.

I rebuilt my shifter assembly with a RD kit. I cleaned the area very well before reinstallation so no coins or misc trash could be around the shifter assembly. At the same time, I installed a RD shifter cable. Drove about 250 miles before the issue arose. Also, 5th synchro has been going out well before this current problem.

Now, my problem is that while driving, 3rd and 4th gates "disappeared". 1,2,5,R all still work fine but cannot get 3rd or 4th into gate.

I have inspected my rebuilt shifter and saw no problems. I also checked the routing of my new shifter cable, seems good with no damage.

Could this be an internal issue? Is there something else I haven't thought of that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Andrew

I had this problem on a Getrag I pulled from a wrecking yard. I hate to tell you this but you will probably have to split the case to fix it.

The only way for both 3rd and 4th to be gone is for the roll pin in the 3-4 shift fork to have fallen out. The shaft still moves but the fork slides on it so you don't actually get any engagement. The extra vibration caused by bad synchros probably caused it. Here is a copy of the Getrag manual....

http://www.fieronews.net/fu...id=23&download_id=50

Page 26 shows the part I'm talking about in orange. The roll pin is directly under the blue arrow on the left diagram. Specifically page #40, item #186 in the exploded diagram. I was able to barely use a prybar to shove a new pin in without removing the gear clusters.

Its a time consuming fix but at least it doesn't cost very much. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 03-21-2015).]

Meistromichael

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeistromichaelSend a Private Message to MeistromichaelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank fieroseverywhere. I was afraid that the issue was internal. I can grab a 25,xxx mile f23 for $300 next week. Guess I'll be tossing it in
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Above post edited. FYI.

Its just a roll pin. Don't trash the trans!!

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 03-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock