Headlight Replacement by PacNWFiero
Started on: 03-19-2015 09:09 PM
Replies: 11 (429 views)
Last post by: tshark on 03-21-2015 12:01 PM
PacNWFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys!

I am a 15 year old aspiring mechanic and my dad recently acquired my favorite car, with the idea that I would eventually buy it. The car is a 1988 Fiero Formula! I have done very little work on Fieros, but I have worked on a couple other cars. My car has a dead headlight, and I would just go ahead with taking it out and replacing it, but my dad won't let me work on it without checking here about any tips first. Any suggestions?

Some other problems with it that you could help me solve:

-headlight motors don't work
-t-tops leak

Thanks for the help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! A T-top Formula!! Do you know they only built 299 of those? First thing you need to do is learn how to post pictures....

well, actually the first thing you should do is practice with the SEARCH function and take a look at how much information is already written about just about everything Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-19-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
light(s) dead too or just motor(s)?
Both covered in my Cave, Headlights and Gen 2 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

light(s) dead too or just motor(s)?
Both covered in my Cave, Headlights and Gen 2 HL Motor

I have both a dead light on the driver's side and two non-functional motors
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of headlight upgrade options at Black Top Racing.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PacNWFiero:

The motors can be rebuilt. The plastic inside them dries out over time and the motors fail. You can buy a kit to rebuild them, and then they will work like new.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where in the Pacific Northwest do you live? The Jet City Fiero Club that meets the second Wednesday of every month at the XXX Drive In in Issaquah. You are welcome to attend. The local club web site is

http://www.jetcityfieros.com/news.php

In April we are doing Go-Karts at Pacific Raceways if you are interested.

PM me if you are have any questions.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Guys!

I am a 15 year old aspiring mechanic and my dad recently acquired my favorite car, with the idea that I would eventually buy it. The car is a 1988 Fiero Formula! I have done very little work on Fieros, but I have worked on a couple other cars. My car has a dead headlight, and I would just go ahead with taking it out and replacing it, but my dad won't let me work on it without checking here about any tips first. Any suggestions?

Some other problems with it that you could help me solve:

-headlight motors don't work
-t-tops leak

Thanks for the help!

Your headlight probably just needs the plastic "slugs" or "pellets" some call them replaced. They are cheap.
Look under the "electrical" tab here: http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

You have a smart dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

If the electrical contacts are good, are you saying the motors dont move/spin/make noise at all?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Check high and low beam. One is dead then most likely have bulb death.
Both dead then Check HL volts at plug... volt meter or test light... Black is ground, others are low and high beam.

Any 3 pin seal beam HL bulb can test the socket. Do Not use 9003/H4 for testing! You can get hurt if/when 9003 etc breaks/burst.

If motor spin but won't lift then dowel are bad.
Motor won't spin then need to read my cave.

Originally posted by no2pencil:
Lots of headlight upgrade options at Black Top Racing.
Like most HL internet vendors... Some HL are good, others are illegal for street use. Check state laws and states you drive thru Before you buy anything. Any HL and other lights w/o DOT labels etc are trouble.
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

If the electrical contacts are good, are you saying the motors dont move/spin/make noise at all?

The motors make a whirring noise, but they don't move
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock