88 rear springs recommendations by jc8367
Started on: 03-19-2015 10:48 AM
Replies: 21 (458 views)
Last post by: jc8367 on 03-29-2015 10:35 AM
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read so many articles on this topic that my head is spinning but still not answers. I'm looking to replace the rear spring on my 88 GT and don't want to lower the car, what are my options? What have others done? Thx

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 03-19-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could always do a coil over conversion on the rear and set your ride height to stock. That will work for the rear. I'm not sure how you would replace the fronts with new springs at stock height though. Maybe use lowering springs and install a type of sprin seat that is like an inch - inch and a half thick.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thx. I will add that I'm planning to change the struts as well.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you changing the springs? That may help us, to help you.
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think stock is around 325lb or 300... I run 350lb on my coilovers because I'm lowered some.. Didn't want to bottom out... It's not a chop ride either.. Some bounce but it catches..sort of stiff but not.. If that makes sense

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-19-2015).]

jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Why are you changing the springs? That may help us, to help you.

Right now my plan is to change the struts so that got me thinking of doing the springs as well, hence my question. So no I don't have to change them.

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 03-19-2015).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jc8367:
Right now my plan is to change the struts so that got me thinking of doing the springs as well, hence my question. So no I don't have to change them.

Easiest solution is to buy new (maybe The Fiero Store) or just use your original springs. I used my original when changing struts.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Easiest solution is to buy new (maybe The Fiero Store) or just use your original springs. I used my original when changing struts.

Thats what I may do anyway. I just thought if I'm there doing the work I could just update the springs but I only see options for lowering springs.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats what I may do anyway. I just thought if I'm there doing the work I could just update the springs but I only see options for lowering springs.

What do you mean "update"? What do you want to achieve?
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

What do you mean "update"? What do you want to achieve?

If anything a smoother ride, comfort. Right now I'll be changing the struts, that's what made me think about doing the springs as well.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If anything a smoother ride, comfort. Right now I'll be changing the struts, that's what made me think about doing the springs as well.

Struts and suspension condition will have more of an impact on quality of ride (for the most part). Springs are there to just hold the car up.... generalizing
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the ride height of the car is correct, you don't need to replace the springs.
The smoother ride will be a function of the new shocks/struts.
The 88's ride quality is really good when everything is right.
larry mimbs

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Springs are made of steel and steel fatigues. The only way to restore "new car ride" is with new springs.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody ever use these guys, http://www.coilsprings.com/sports_cars.aspx. Just provide specs of springs, or send one that you have, and they reverse engineer for you. Roughly $220 a pair.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larry mimbs:

Springs are made of steel and steel fatigues. The only way to restore "new car ride" is with new springs.

When the spring fatigues, the spring will not be able to support the weight, and the ride height will be lower.
If the car is still at stock height, the springs are OK.
Ride quality would then be based on the shock or strut.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll double check the height on level ground.

My springs feel soft but I'm starting to think it's the strut mounts and not necessarily springs themselves.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear spring rate on 88's is lower than you would think, lower than pre -88's, due to difference in suspension design. If they feel 'soft', your struts are shot (providing no damping).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear spring rate on an 88 is 142.7 lbs/in.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-054238.html
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Paul, I am traveling and couldn't access my notes.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thx guru
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
When the spring fatigues, the spring will not be able to support the weight, and the ride height will be lower.
If the car is still at stock height, the springs are OK.
Ride quality would then be based on the shock or strut.

Yup...
Fiero and many others got crap struts and shocks from GM.
Many cars still have OE parts or old/cheap aftermarket parts.

If you not mod'ing the suspension, Get premium gas units and you will be good to go.

OE coil springs won't go bad even driving 100's thousands of miles.
If you find springs are bad then something made them that way... some examples: (Many will kill a lot of suspension parts.)
Major rust problems.
Some moron torch them to lower etc.
Someone drove the car w/ big loads. Heavy overweight and drive on crap roads or long distance or both.

Many OE Strut springs are "Progressive" springs. In Basic terms... This mean coil windings are not same over entire length of spring. Worse, Fiero and others Struts springs charge diameter too. Smaller at bottom. Change diameter can affect spring rate of each winding too.

Basic Spring Rates can be the same but change how hard/soft the spring feels to driver etc by messing just how the spring is wound. Small difference can means Progressive springs are harder to figure out by reverse engineer them even when you have GM drawings.
Try reading
Linear vs progressive rate springs
Understanding Suspension Spring Dynamics ...
Google: progressive springs for cars (just reduces the results)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thx to all for the replies. This is a great community with very helpful enthusiasts that I'm proud to be a part of.

Enjoy your Sunday.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock