mod discussion by 88 fiero formula
Started on: 03-19-2015 01:25 AM
Replies: 5 (186 views)
Last post by: mcguiver3 on 03-19-2015 10:02 AM
88 fiero formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive an 88 fiero formula 5 speed. Im in the process of modifying the car. Im not interested in keeping anytging stock but I dont have the money to engine swap or turbo charge I have a few questions and id love to hear some cool ideas for mods thrown around. Starting with the stock 2.8. Id like a nice loud thick minda exhaust sound but spintech mufflers sound very Jdm ish to me where ad larger mufflers that promise deeper sound quiet the note down and dont let it project. Any advice on what type of muffler to use? Also iv been reading that modifying the stock cold air in take can add a neat little sound to the car. Is this worth the time or effort involved? And my final question is racing seats and sterring wheels. Im looking at cipher racing seats. Will th universal rracing seat brackets fit a reclinable chair? Any reclining chair? And where would I anchor my harnesses short of bolting to the floor? Im also looking to redo my soeakers to go with my bew stereo so any advice on that would be great im not good withspeakers. I have big plans for the car and the exterior has a lot ahead of it too but thats gonna have to be a whole different thread
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Switching to 1.6 rockers open up the exhaust note a bit. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good already.
Remove the stock water separator/noise muffler from the intake in the wheel well and replace with a tube. I think it's 3"? I can't remember.
Remove the exhaust restriction....exhaust logs, y-pipe.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning a 5 point harness?
If so is there a reason for them?
Are you planning to autocross or track this car?
If not the harness is a waist of time and money.
If you do install it, I'm not sure about the seat but I assume it has cut outs for the shoulder straps.
Those straps must not pull down upon loading. Bolting them to the floor is a NO-NO
They must pull laterally from the rear fire wall.
You can fabricate a harness bar (similar to a household handicap grab bar) and through bolt it with backing plates through the fire wall.
This will not actually place it high enough but it will be close.
I did this years ago to my 88 Formula race car before installation of the current roll bar set up
The other issue is the sub belt. You will have to fab a bracket to mount that too.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard that using a 5 point harness in a street car was not a good idea because of how difficult it is to get out of it.
88 fiero formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the time its done im hoping for a track car. I wouldnt be putting a harness in an everyfay street car. That's thr final modification. Am I able to bolt to that firewall directly With the harness?
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hardware supplied with the harness would not articulate to allow a strait pull from the belt.
In an ordinary street car a harness bar is what most would use but in the Fiero you don't have the room behind the seats for one.
I made 2 small ones to bolt behind each seat with backing plates and threaded the belts over them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock