Heater Core Hard Lines Under Car by KaijuSenso
Started on: 03-18-2015 06:02 PM
Replies: 11 (1038 views)
Last post by: ILVMYGT on 03-20-2015 10:55 AM
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been searching for a coolant leak for a little while and over the winter, the front end of the car was up on jack stands and I finally was able to find puddle of coolant. It was a pretty decent size too, and while test driving it for the past 2 days, I've gone from the "Full" line to about 1.5" below the "Add" line in the reservoir. Underneath the car just now (after driving the car 40 min home from work and it sitting a few hours), there are no obvious signs of a leak. Only on one of the bolt heads under the car is there a little bit of green (green arrow in the picture.) Upon further inspection, I think the insulation foam for this heater hard line is soaked and I'm guessing it is cracked from road debris (possible evidence from the torn insulation, blue arrow in picture below)

It looks like these hard lines are not reproduced, and are no longer available from GM. What are my options then to repair/replace? Do I have to find a good parts car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are still in good shape, just a hose that's leaking. I plan on using PVC tubing if I ever loose a hard line. You could have some stainless made up at a fab $hop. PVC is good up to 600 degrees, if your coolant gets that hot you won't be worried about a leak
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea of PVC doesn't sit well with me in and automotive application.

A thought occurred to me this morning, if the crack ends up being so close to the connection point, maybe I can just cut out the bad section and replace with silicone hose up to the heater core?

What about welding the crack? (searching shows these lines are coated aluminum)
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the pipe is leaking , it is probably beyond repair .You could just take the piping off and have a pipe fab shop replicate it -big bucks . Most people just replace the rotted piece by clamping in a piece of rubber hose .Or replace both pipes with new rubber heater hose from front to back like I did with an 85 I used to own .

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*edit* Thats an air conditioning line in that pic isnt it?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-19-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
When I aquired my Formula it had a leaky AC line, I was able to find a section of similar sized line at a junkyard and a shop used couplers and welded (or soldered?) the section in.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thats an air conditioning line in that pic. The heater/coolant tubes are one on each side more near the doors.

There are two heater core lines running up the center, I thought. The radiator coolant lines are on the outside, near doors.

If the foam is the only thing wrong, then leave it. Is the pipe corroding?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-19-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
There are two heater core lines running up the center, I thought. The radiator coolant lines are on the outside, near doors.

If the foam is the only thing wrong, then leave it. Is the pipe corroding?

Hmm, I thought the insulated ones were AC.

(Pic is red X for me)

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-19-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Hmm, I thought the insulated ones were AC.

Yeah, I couldn't remember, so I had to pull up a pic.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My picture in the first post is under the car from front looking back, the lines I'm picturing are on the passenger side of the fuel tank. These are definitely heater core lines and right where they bend up, they connect to a rubber hose which then mounts directly to the heater core.

For reference (because I've seen this confusion in the other topics about this part), the hard lines for the AC look very similar but run on the driver's side of the fuel tank. jaskispyder's picture above is very useful to show where they are from the engine compartment side.

Note this is for my 1986 GT (I will add this to the first post for future reference.)

Originally posted by wftb:

If the pipe is leaking , it is probably beyond repair .You could just take the piping off and have a pipe fab shop replicate it -big bucks . Most people just replace the rotted piece by clamping in a piece of rubber hose .Or replace both pipes with new rubber heater hose from front to back like I did with an 85 I used to own .

wftb, this thought occurred to me but is it safe to run a rubber hose down the length of the car on the underside? Are you saying some people might slip some heater hose over the hardline where it's cracked and clamp it down, like a bandage?
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not run a couple of copper or aluminum pipes in place of the ones that leak, flair the ends to insure the rubber hoses seal and the problem is solved.
PFF
System Bot
ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was the leak caused by an impact? If the it was and the pipe is in good condition, one way would be to use a hose clamp and a piece of heater hose to cover the hole. I have use this to patch hole in pipe or tubes in various locations.

As the previous posted suggested splicing is a new piece is also a good idea. Parker Fitting has compression fittings that are good for several thousand PSI that could be used. You would need to go to an industrial supply house to get them.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock