Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1988 FIERO GT 18" WHEELS? AC? EVAP FAILER?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 FIERO GT 18" WHEELS? AC? EVAP FAILER? by FGT88
Started on: 03-17-2015 04:44 PM
Replies: 6 (440 views)
Last post by: FGT88 on 03-18-2015 10:02 AM
FGT88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FGT88Send a Private Message to FGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
QUESTION #1 I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE 18" CHROME WHEELS AND TIRES I WAS TOLD BY A WHEEL AND TIRE SALES TECH THAT BUYING (18" WHEELS /RIMS) THAT AT 70 OR FASTER ALL FIEROS OR MID ENGINE CARS GET A VIABRATION IS THIS TRUE? I AM LOOKING AT 18" 2CRAVE NO13 IN CHROME 18X7.5 WILL A 225/45/18 FIT OR 225/40/18 BE BETTER PLEASE ADVISE I AM NEW TO THE FORAM THANKS
QUESTION # 2 MY AC IS CYCLING WHEN I TURN IT ON. I STILL R12 IT HAS TO BE CONVERTED OVER TO R134 COULD I HAVE A LEAK IN THE SYSTEM I WAS TOLD WHEN I PURCHASED THE FIERO THAT THE AC WAS WORKING FINE
QUESTION #3 ALSO I FAILED THE EVAP TEST EMMISIONS HE IN PHOENIX AZ PLEASE ADVISE.
THANKS
FGT88-JOHN
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi John...welcome to the Forum! Your post will be easier for everyone to read if you turn the CAPS off.

About the wheels.....its I don't know where people get all these odd ideas about Fieros. (Maybe he does not know how to balance tires.... )

About the A/C.... you don't have to convert it, and it may be working fine.....it's not unusual to loose a little pressure over time. A licensed shop can give you a quote.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-17-2015).]

FGT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FGT88Send a Private Message to FGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Hi John...welcome to the Forum! Your post will be easier for everyone to read if you turn the CAPS off.

About the wheels.....its I don't know where people get all these odd ideas about Fieros. (Maybe he does not know how to balance tires.... )

About the A/C.... you don't have to convert it, and it may be working fine.....it's not unusual to loose a little pressure over time. A licensed shop can give you a quote.

Hello Gall757
Thanks for getting back to me so i don't have to convert from r12 to r134? do you think i have a leak or it just seeped out over time? i have a chance to get the 2crave 18"x7.5 no13 chrome wheels 4x100 bolt they sell on ebay 5x100 bolt adapter will this be ok to add the adapter plate by billet 89.00? and the tire size is 215/35/18? i really wanted to go with a 225/45/18 or 225/40/18 i am not sure what tire will be a better fit???? the 215/35/18, 225/40/18, 225/45/18 [/color][/size] do you have any suggestions?
Thanks for getting back to me
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
R12 is still available..you can buy it on E-bay.....sometimes it is expensive, but you should ask around and find a shop that is authorized to service R12 systems....and get their opinion on your car. My car is still R12 and it works great.

When you need adapters for your wheels, things can go wrong....it puts extra strain on the wheel bearings and they are harder to balance sometimes...maybe that's what your wheel guy was worried about. You should find wheels with the 5 X 100 bolt pattern.
FGT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FGT88Send a Private Message to FGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

R12 is still available..you can buy it on E-bay.....sometimes it is expensive, but you should ask around and find a shop that is authorized to service R12 systems....and get their opinion on your car. My car is still R12 and it works great.

When you need adapters for your wheels, things can go wrong....it puts extra strain on the wheel bearings and they are harder to balance sometimes...maybe that's what your wheel guy was worried about. You should find wheels with the 5 X 100 bolt pattern.

the only reason why I am getting these 2crave 18" wheels is because the 2crave 18x7.5 chrome is not available on back order for 3 months from china no one has them if tried almost every wheel and tire place from the east coast to the west coast especially in my lug pattern 5x100 the wheels and tires would have cost me is around 1600 the wheels I found are 550 for wheels and tires so do you have any suggestions for tire sizes 215/35/18 what is on the wheels now? or 225/40/18 the tire height is 25" that will fill in the wheel wells more then the 215/35/18 that's around 23" I don't want to drop the fiero 1 inch
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't get adapter-required wheels. you are only asking for problems.

AC can be topped off, but you probably have a leak. Talk to different shops about adding more R12 vs the cost of conversion to R134a.

EVAP test? Did they say why? What were the numbers?
FGT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FGT88Send a Private Message to FGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Don't get adapter-required wheels. you are only asking for problems. can i have the wheels drilled i heard they some places can do that? the wheel are not available
back order for 3 to 6 months in my bolt pattern...5x100 do you recommend 18" wheels rolling on 225/40/18 this tire is 25.25 inches it will fill the wheel wells with out lowering the fiero 1" or 17" wheels for a better ride? i am not sure which way to go? i never liked the 15" wire spoke wheels mine are gold and my88 fiero gt is red

AC can be topped off, but you probably have a leak. Talk to different shops about adding more R12 vs the cost of conversion to R134a. ] yes i am just now looking into that i thought they could't sell it anymore. what about the stop leak that is for sale on ebay for 10.00 if i have a leak? will this work or just have a tech find the leak?
thanks for all the advise

EVAP test? Did they say why? What were the numbers?
it just states on the emissions fail pressure test no numbers. i have to put the title in my name by the end of this month here in az i just purchased the car

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock