Getrag swap by Steve2bnm
Started on: 03-17-2015 10:05 AM
Replies: 3 (151 views)
Last post by: Steve2bnm on 03-17-2015 11:23 PM
Steve2bnm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve2bnmClick Here to visit Steve2bnm's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steve2bnmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 88 Formula with bad fifth and third synchro's. I purchased a new Muncie 282 for a 1993 Quad 4 2.3L on eBay for $400. My plan is to swap the bell housing so I can bolt it up to my V6. Or, do I need to? Rodney says "The case was redesigned to fit GM V-6's and the Quad 4's". I'm not sure if the redesign was a single bell housing or two separate bell housings. I haven't pulled the existing trany yet so I am a little unsure of what else I need to swap and/or work around. I now I'll have to check the clutch assembly, shift assembly and speedo setup. The new trans has lower ratios (3.94 final) so I expect to have to fool the computer to get the speedo working correctly. Should make acceleration be a little snappier!
Any suggestions, ideas, warnings?
I bought the J-26935 Manual Trans- Axle Shim Selector so I can check the setup if I have to swap bell housings. Anyone know where I can buy the shims?
Thanks guys!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve2bnm:

I have a 88 Formula with bad fifth and third synchro's. I purchased a new Muncie 282 for a 1993 Quad 4 2.3L on eBay for $400. My plan is to swap the bell housing so I can bolt it up to my V6. Or, do I need to? Rodney says "The case was redesigned to fit GM V-6's and the Quad 4's". I'm not sure if the redesign was a single bell housing or two separate bell housings. I haven't pulled the existing trany yet so I am a little unsure of what else I need to swap and/or work around. I now I'll have to check the clutch assembly, shift assembly and speedo setup. The new trans has lower ratios (3.94 final) so I expect to have to fool the computer to get the speedo working correctly. Should make acceleration be a little snappier!
Any suggestions, ideas, warnings?
I bought the J-26935 Manual Trans- Axle Shim Selector so I can check the setup if I have to swap bell housings. Anyone know where I can buy the shims?
Thanks guys!

Would love to know the answer to this too!

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I presume this is the transmission you bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW...em43d0636cab&vxp=mtr

From the pictures, it is using the Quad 4 bell pattern, and will not mate to the stock Fiero engines, which use the GM Metric bell pattern.
Steve2bnm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve2bnmClick Here to visit Steve2bnm's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steve2bnmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your are right, that is the one I bought. So it bell housing swap time!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock