So where do these parts actually fit? 1988 GT engine brackets by StrickilyGT
Started on: 03-16-2015 03:10 PM
Replies: 9 (270 views)
Last post by: StrickilyGT on 03-18-2015 06:41 PM
StrickilyGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrickilyGTSend a Private Message to StrickilyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the winter I replaced my Getrag transmission, and took the opportunity to do some cleaning up. These two parts, one clearly a plug wire support, were mounted on the heads where they had no functionality at all. I'm assuming that someone once pulled the heads off, and did not get these brackets/supports back where they belong. Anyone know exactly where they should go?
http://beardres.com/uploads...209/1025994_orig.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top one is bolted to the trunk-side head. Right on the corner, I think. Helps to guide the wires around the corner of the engine.

The bottom one is bolted to the firewall-side head, above the trans. It's used to guide the shift cable around the engine, and keeps it off the manifold.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

StrickilyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrickilyGTSend a Private Message to StrickilyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's very helpful, thanks. There already is a plug wire support on the trunk side - I'm wondering if this was then a spare.?

The other one now makes a lot of sense when bolted to the slave cylinder bracket on the tranny - no idea why it was on the head - many thanks!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wire holder might go on the firewall side, unless it's just a spare, as you said.
It's been a long time since I looked that closely at a V6 in a Fiero, so I don't remember exactly.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When installed, the top one is a little difficult to see. Look at the #6 intake runner. There are two chrome bolts at the left side of the runner. There's a cable bracket bolted to the one closest to you and to the neck of the intake. The bracket you picture goes underneath that and helps to hold the wires as they pass down between the neck of the intake and the cable. It's missing in this photo, but that's where it goes. I don't know where the other one mounts, but it looks like some that are on the deck hinge bases.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-17-2015).]

StrickilyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StrickilyGTSend a Private Message to StrickilyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look around closer to where you are indicating it goes - makes sense - many thanks!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a closer look at the one on my 87. You can see it underneath the big bracket.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-17-2015).]

StrickilyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrickilyGTSend a Private Message to StrickilyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bingo - problem solved - many thanks for the help everyone!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i found this pic of the lower bracket picture that you have.. It's located on the right side of the head (near the spark plug wires) firewall side..

The other bracket (top picture that you posted) I thought went near the a/c bracket (towards the middle of the valve cover) - engine lift mount... to help avoid the wires to touch the manifold, firewall side..... but the throttle body area to help guide the wires thru makes sense too..

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-18-2015).]

StrickilyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrickilyGTSend a Private Message to StrickilyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's very helpful, many thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock