Differences in the Iron Duke by Keel
Started on: 03-14-2015 09:53 PM
Replies: 6 (277 views)
Last post by: DisplacementIsKing on 03-16-2015 07:52 PM
Keel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question is, Are all the internal parts the same I know some of the blocks are shorter,
but is the crank,rods, cam (other than lobes) length.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2.5 engine is in so many different things (i.e. Mail Trucks, Boats), nobody can be sure about all the internals.

Here is a site that found compatible parts for the Fiero.

http://www.fierosails.com/PartsManual.html
DisplacementIsKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisplacementIsKingSend a Private Message to DisplacementIsKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you stick with the 2.5 VIN R that were in the fiero's they are mostly the same but had several changes for example:
Heads changed in 87
Went to roller cam in 86
Oil pump changed in 87 or 88?

Here is a good link to changes:
http://ironduke7.tripod.com/dukevariations.htm
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DisplacementIsKing:

If you stick with the 2.5 VIN R that were in the fiero's they are mostly the same but had several changes for example:
Heads changed in 87
Went to roller cam in 86
Oil pump changed in 87 or 88?

Roller cam was 1985.
Oil pump was 88. It changed with the introduction of balance shafts in 1988.
There are a few different pushrod lengths.

Keel, I think it'd be easier to answer your question intelligently if you told us what you are trying to do.
Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2015 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Roller cam was 1985.
Oil pump was 88. It changed with the introduction of balance shafts in 1988.
There are a few different pushrod lengths.

Keel, I think it'd be easier to answer your question intelligently if you told us what you are trying to do.

I have a lead on new g.m. 2.5ltr crate short blocks 86 and 87's. but they are the ones for the grand am/ buick somerset/etc. that I've read the block is shorter and doesn't have the off set water pump
But if the rods, crank,pistons, etc is the same.. 299.00 for all new parts.. and dump them into my Fiero block.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you know what car the blocks are supposed to go into, you can cross-reference part numbers on the Rock Auto website. It's not a quick process, but it is probably worth the effort.
DisplacementIsKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisplacementIsKingSend a Private Message to DisplacementIsKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roller cam was 1985.

DOH! :P

There are a few different push rod lengths

The roller cam motors have a different length then the flat tappet.

I have a lead on new g.m. 2.5ltr crate short blocks 86 and 87's. but they are the ones for the grand am/ buick somerset/etc. that I've read the block is shorter and doesn't have the off set water pump
But if the rods, crank,pistons, etc is the same.. 299.00 for all new parts.. and dump them into my Fiero block.

Nice!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock