Isuzu cables and V6 intake by GotScooped
Started on: 03-13-2015 08:34 PM
Replies: 4 (203 views)
Last post by: GotScooped on 03-16-2015 02:04 PM
GotScooped

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GotScoopedSend a Private Message to GotScoopedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, long time reader here but first time poster.

I have an 86 SE that had originally had a 2.8 and a 4 speed. After a clutch failure I decided to swap out the worn out 2.8 with a 3.4 push rod. At the same time I replaced the 4 speed with a 5 speed Isuzu to lower rpm's on the highway. I am looking for a solution to the interference between the Isuzu shift cables and the rubber air intake pipe. I know others have routed the cables either above or below the stock intake pipe but the fit seems tighter than I'd like. I also don't want to install a "cold air intake" that will draw hot air from inside the engine compartment.

Has anybody come up with a replacement intake pipe that wouldn't conflict with the shift cables but also retain the stock air filter location? Other solutions and pictures of your setups would be much appreciated, thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't really need to change the intake tube. I've done 2 like this. Just be sure you keep the cable clear of the throttle plate cam. Pushing the cable underneath the intake tube can put a serious bind in the cable causing hard shifting or eventually breaking the cables.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I normally route the cables over the top as well. Just loosen the air intake tube up and push it down as much as possible. I also wire tie the cable that is right by the throttle cam. You don't want it to vibrate and get bumped and move to restrict throttle travel.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the closeup you can see where I cable tied mine, too. I cut it when doing a plug change and found that it had damaged the rubber sleeve. I just left it that way with plans to find something to put over the cable that would prevent the tie from cutting into it. I just never got around to it. I originally had it lashed to that metal bracket you can see in the closeup, but you need to be careful because of the cable and throttle plate cam in that area.

I recall someone using part of the rubber snorkel and some metal piping to fabricate a new intake tube that gave better clearance for the cables and allowed them to be pushed more to the left, off of the throttle body. Whatever is done, it needs to be secured to the engine to reduce stress on the transmission shifter forks should the engine or trans mounts become worn.

I had once asked Rodney if a bolt on cable standoff could be added to his inventory since this isn't an uncommon swap.
GotScooped

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GotScoopedSend a Private Message to GotScoopedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input and pictures. Routing the cables near the throttle body concerns me, I think they would be likely to get caught or mangle the insulation at some point. Also, no matter how I try to orient the stock rubber tube it seems like the cables will contact the rubber tube. I may have not found the right angle to twist everything yet but so far it seems like the outer cable will be kinked slightly above the mounting bracket. I would prefer to replace the rubber tube with a flexible duct that could be routed down out of the throttle body and over to the filter housing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock