Purple wire for fuel level by earp
Started on: 03-13-2015 04:55 PM
Replies: 5 (328 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 03-15-2015 10:28 AM
earp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for earpSend a Private Message to earpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does the purple wire in the fuel tank connect to? Mine is not connected to anything.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three wires go into the tank. One is the ground, one is the fuel pump power and the last one (purple) is the fuel level. It connects to one end of the fuel level sender with the other end connecting to the ground. The fuel level sender is a small "card" variable resistor that has the a float with a "brush" that touches the variable resistor at a point dependent on the level of fuel. The purple wire is connected to one end of the resistor, the ground wire connects to the fuel pump and the brush that is moved by the float.
earp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for earpSend a Private Message to earpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the connection inside an inclosure that the float arm pivots on?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by earp:

Is the connection inside an inclosure that the float arm pivots on?

I believe there are a couple of different types of sending units. They are similar in function, but the resistor unit may look different. Here's pics from the one I took out of my tank ('88).

earp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for earpSend a Private Message to earpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is different.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by earp:

Mine is different.

There are two styles, but the end result is the same. The purple wire needs to connect to one end of the resistor. Post a closeup pic of your sender unit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock